Two Japanese White Pines

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These two pines were both in the dumpster with the Mugo pine I posted. Neither of these were in a pot at all. I brought them home, potted them up and they seem pretty happy! The short denser one is 'Wyeast' and the taller one is 'Glauca'. I like that they both have really low branching. Do you think I could air layer the top of the Glauca just below the major bend in the trunk and all those branches come out in the same area?

J.W.P. 'Wyeast'.JPGJ.W.P. wyeast side.JPG

J.W.P. 'Glauca'.JPGGlauca base.JPGGlauca top.JPG

Last edited:

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you think I could air layer the top of the Glauca just below the major bend in the trunk and all those branches come out in the same area?

No, JWP with the exception of the magical zuisho do not take when air layered.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just a word of caution here.. The first pine looks like it has some dieback.. It could be just stress.. However, it could be fungal. May want to keep it isolated from any other trees you may have. it would be a shame for a free, discarded tree to come into your collection and spread a fungus or pests to your other healthy trees.

Rob

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude, where can I find this dumpster!? Lol but seriously, nice find though. I've often found pots, and other treasures in our dumpster. It's amazing what people will throw away.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about ground layering? Would this be an alternate method, or are all "layering" methods non-takeable with JWP?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the dieback is just from the stress of being without a container for who knows how long. All the new growth appears fine so far. I will keep my eye on them and the rest of my trees too to make sure they stay OK. When would be the best rime to chop these back? Probably a few years from now, huh?

Top Bottom