Two Juvenile JBP's Acting In Two Different Ways

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
These two pines looked exactly the same, in color, during the hot summer months when it was 2,000 degrees and rather humid here in North Texas. Now that Fall is 'trying' to fall... one of them has become darker, in color, and the other has actually 'lightened' a bit in color. I'm feeding and watering them both the same, but don't understand the reason behind the developing color differences between the two trees. Moisture level is also the same in both pots. I've also pulled them both out of their pots to check out the roots. Neither one of them is root bound. They both look very healthy. Their buds all look fine, no signs of needle cast nor 'visually noticeable' fungus, parasites, etc. I also purchased these two trees from the same source, at the same time, so I am 'assuming' that they are of the same cut of cloth, per se. Any ideas as to what could possibly account for the curious differences in the 'Fall' colors of these two trees?

Fall Light and Dark Trees.jpg

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something is VERY wrong with the yellow one. JBP DO NOT turn yellow when they are healthy.

It could be a variety of different reasons.
Chlorosis or lack of iron
Root issue (not pot bound, something else)
Other things I'm forgetting

In any case it does not look healthy at all.
Not sure what to tell you to help it.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These two pines looked exactly the same, in color, during the hot summer months when it was 2,000 degrees and rather humid here in North Texas. Now that Fall is 'trying' to fall... one of them has become darker, in color, and the other has actually 'lightened' a bit in color. I'm feeding and watering them both the same, but don't understand the reason behind the developing color differences between the two trees. Moisture level is also the same in both pots. I've also pulled them both out of their pots to check out the roots. Neither one of them is root bound. They both look very healthy. Their buds all look fine, no signs of needle cast nor 'visually noticeable' fungus, parasites, etc. I also purchased these two trees from the same source, at the same time, so I am 'assuming' that they are of the same cut of cloth, per se. Any ideas as to what could possibly account for the curious differences in the 'Fall' colors of these two trees?

View attachment 274152
The buds on the lighter one....are they white or a rusty red?
JRP behave like that in winter.
Otherwise if it is JBP it may have been kept slightly too wet

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is the yellowing starting from the base of the needle or branch, or from the tips? What is it potted in?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something is VERY wrong with the yellow one. JBP DO NOT turn yellow when they are healthy.

It could be a variety of different reasons.
Chlorosis or lack of iron
Root issue (not pot bound, something else)
Other things I'm forgetting

In any case it does not look healthy at all.
Not sure what to tell you to help it.

Good to see you back posting! Hope all is well with you and your trees.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is odd and I can't seeing it being a deficiency as both plants have been treated the same. I would slip the yellowing pine out of the pot and inspect the roots. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary, inspect the other to see if there are differences. I suspect the problem is in the roots, but sometimes these things just happen. I have 3 Amur maple in the ground about 16 inches apart. Two have grown twice as fast with better color than the third. I cannot find a difference in them and care has been identical.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yellow one looks like it's on the way out if not already. As stated, probably a root issue.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would probably try an application of a good trace element supplement (micromax or similar), and/or an iron supplement (chelated). I'd apply the iron to both the soil and foliage. See if that greens it up. Another thing you could try would be to reduce the pH of the water you're using on that yellow tree - vinegar would work in a pinch. Same idea, if the soil pH has gotten too high some of the trace elements (especially iron) might not be available and lowering the pH can help.

Regardless, assuming the tree makes it to the next repotting season I'd go ahead and give it a good repot. Keep an eye out for root aphids which can be hard to see especially if there is a bunch of myco in the pot.

I've got a similar situation, I have about a dozen pine seedlings that I acquired a few years ago and some of them have become quite yellow while others are deep dark green. Need to do some repotting in the spring.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Any particular reason their both sitting in soggy gravel in the shade?
LOL, look again. The gravel is bone dry and the shade is because the sun is setting! I can't control the rotation of the Earth!
The gravel had a purpose, as a humidity bed during the summer. I kept it flooded, but now it's just where the trees sit. :)

Last edited:

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's actually improving. Looked much more yellow three weeks ago. I believe it is too much moisture. I stopped putting my finger into the mix and am now using a meter to check moisture. The meter shows much more moisture than my finger feels. I'll wait until the meter goes towards the low side of the scale before watering again. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks. :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you. I've simply had nothing to post. Just caring for trees and enjoying their progress.

Ha, I was actually quoting Paradox because she has been absent for a while and she is local to me so we have crossed paths a few times and she’s good people.

But glad to see you are posting too! I too go through spells where I don’t have much to update with my trees, so posts are less frequent.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The buds on the lighter one....are they white or a rusty red?
JRP behave like that in winter.
Otherwise if it is JBP it may have been kept slightly too wet
They look just fine. Everything looks fine except for the light color. Needles are intact, bark looks healthy, buds look happy... it's just that color thing. I think that you are correct in the 'too wet' category, as well as the 'JBP' behave like that thing. A double whammy happening both at one time. The only thing that confuses me is why they aren't both acting the same way? I'm backing off of the watering/feeding schedule for both trees, even though one looks extremely happy, until they both approach the drier side of moist, via my moisture meter. I want to see what happens to the both of them. My eyes are open and I'm paying close attention. Time will be the only evidence and proof. I'm hoping that I just need to pay closer attention to my watering and feeding schedules now that the temps have cooled down and things don't dry up as bad as they do during the summer. I think things are good at this point. If it starts dropping needles... I'll 'then' start to really worry!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's actually improving. Looked much more yellow three weeks ago. I believe it is too much moisture. I stopped putting my finger into the mix and am now using a meter to check moisture. The meter shows much more moisture than my finger feels. I'll wait until the meter goes towards the low side of the scale before watering again. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks. :)
Ah ha! I am a genius

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They look just fine. Everything looks fine except for the light color. Needles are intact, bark looks healthy, buds look happy... it's just that color thing. I think that you are correct in the 'too wet' category, as well as the 'JBP' behave like that thing. A double whammy happening both at one time. The only thing that confuses me is why they aren't both acting the same way? I'm backing off of the watering/feeding schedule for both trees, even though one looks extremely happy, until they both approach the drier side of moist, via my moisture meter. I want to see what happens to the both of them. My eyes are open and I'm paying close attention. Time will be the only evidence and proof. I'm hoping that I just need to pay closer attention to my watering and feeding schedules now that the temps have cooled down and things don't dry up as bad as they do during the summer. I think things are good at this point. If it starts dropping needles... I'll 'then' start to really worry!
The bud questionnis more aimed at making sure the species. JRP naturally yellow in some trees during winter then green up in spring.
JBP does that when it gets too much water and the fungus on its roots aren't to happy.
Each pot is a mini environment so thats often why one is fine and another is affected

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The bud questionnis more aimed at making sure the species. JRP naturally yellow in some trees during winter then green up in spring.
JBP does that when it gets too much water and the fungus on its roots aren't to happy.
Each pot is a mini environment so thats often why one is fine and another is affected
Many thanks for your chiming in on this. I will take a closer look at things, tomorrow, when the sun is up and I can see things in a good light. I will take better photo's of the buds and get back to you!

Top Bottom