Two Mics & a Turntable

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All,

This is an easy post, not many brain cells required. Wondering if someone knows of a place to get a decent turntable. The ones on Amazon I’m very weary of but hey maybe they’re worth a shot. Based on people who have experience with a turntable, what are desirable features of a turntable? Other than the fact that it spins of course! 😂

Thanks for any direction bonsai people!!!

RK
😎🍻

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a plastic countertop display case that would have made a good one the other day.

Once you start looking, you'll find thousands of things that spin that could serve the purpose much better than anything you could buy.

Sorce

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I found a plastic countertop display case that would have made a good one the other day.

Once you start looking, you'll find thousands of things that spin that could serve the purpose much better than anything you could buy.

Sorce
Yeah I’ve tried to repurpose a couple old office chairs that rotate but have been unsuccessful and ended up shot putting the chair 20 feet into the air, ultimately leading to a swift and crashing demise😂

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cheap n easy. Leave em outside all the time.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Yeah these were the ones that I was wondering about their quality, you can speak to the quality being good?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20 bucks good:) Been using this one 2 yrs and left in the weather, covered with repot dirt often. Strong and spins fine until dirt/rocks get in rollers. Not a problem just rinse with hose and repeat. I will buy 2 next time I get them.
Makes working on larger stuff easier. 30lb forest shown here from yesterday.IMG_20210508_170411058_HDR.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I actually have what looks like an identical turntable, but 15” Labworks brand.. I is enough for all the jobs I do so far.

It works great and I, too, left mine out all winter, nevertheless it is still turning. When I read that it can bear 200 lbs I figured to try it out at my weight (165ish) . So I got up on it and gave it a whirl. Works like a charm!

The downside is it doesn’t have a stop. I figured I could make one, but I found I didn’t need one, so it’s still in original condition.

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Those turntables are fine for display trees so they can be turned each week but not so great for working turntable.

For a work turntable a brake is very handy. Trying to wind wire while the tree turns is futile. some trees seem to have one heavy side so every time you let go it rotates to the same side which makes it hard to get a good look or take photos.
A surface that can be inclined is also great when working with trees that are being styled at a new angle. Saves remembering to take wedges along to the workshop.
Something with legs will be good if you ever work on a cascading bonsai.

I've made a few from old wheels or engine bearings but that requires some construction skills.

The Green T bonsai turntable range has all the bells and whistles if you have the funds available.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Type in ’spinning Jenny’ on eBay. Unless it’s just a colloquialism, you’ll find loads in all different sizes.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, the Green T turntable looks pretty awesome, yet at 425.00 US plus shipping that is a pretty steep price. Yet if one has a dedicated space for bonsai, that would be the cats meow. At the museum we work either on a round table or, for the really heavy trees and forests etc, on a rolling hydraulic cart.

Regretfully, as I don't have room for a dedicated space at home. I either have to work outside or in the garage (luckily ours is well insulated) with a solid portable table.

cheers
DSD sends

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Those turntables are fine for display trees so they can be turned each week but not so great for working turntable.

For a work turntable a brake is very handy. Trying to wind wire while the tree turns is futile. some trees seem to have one heavy side so every time you let go it rotates to the same side which makes it hard to get a good look or take photos.
A surface that can be inclined is also great when working with trees that are being styled at a new angle. Saves remembering to take wedges along to the workshop.
Something with legs will be good if you ever work on a cascading bonsai.

I've made a few from old wheels or engine bearings but that requires some construction skills.

The Green T bonsai turntable range has all the bells and whistles if you have the funds available.
Man. That’s way cool. Not sure I’m wanting to spend $450 on a turn table. But that did turn me to this one that might me a good compromise when it’s available again!!! F0A06886-7CFD-45C2-BC11-1330E477BE06.png

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not me, So far I've never needed one. I just take the trees off the turntable when I wire and put them on the table. We have a round table to work on trees here that is just perfect for walking around and reaching anywhere on a tree.

That said I like the idea of a rubber or plastic wedge to use to stop the turn table if you wanted to though,, but to be honest with you, I've never had an issue with the table spinning. However, I could see it happening.

If I had a studio, that Green T turntable would be in it in a heartbeat!

Cheers
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi All,

This is an easy post, not many brain cells required. Wondering if someone knows of a place to get a decent turntable. The ones on Amazon I’m very weary of but hey maybe they’re worth a shot. Based on people who have experience with a turntable, what are desirable features of a turntable? Other than the fact that it spins of course! 😂

Thanks for any direction bonsai people!!!

RK
😎🍻

I use one very much like this one

Had it for a few years and use it for my smaller trees and its been fine.
As long as your trees dont exceed the capacity of the table and you dont leave it outside in the rain or get it soaked all the time you should be fine

Top Bottom