Two more field grown Ume

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I thought I started a thread on these two last year but apparently not... so here we go! These two were sourced from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks at least 13 years ago as seedlings. They were planted in my yard in MA for approximately 3 months before they were dug up and shoved into 1 gal cans in preparation for the move to GA back in '09'. They were planted among the landscaping on the sloping front yard of my house down south and lived there for another quite happily, other then getting chopped back ruthlessly every winter or getting nibbled on by the occasional deer, for the next 10+ years. They were dug from the yard in the spring on 2021 and put into these oversized mica pots. I don't have pics from collection... my bad. These were typical ground grown ume- good root base and taper but several very heavy roots. They were cut back hard to get them into the mica pots but would need more drastic reduction this round, too. Anyway, the roots really respond to these cuts and the tree/pot combos here are literally 50+% lighter then they were last week... and it'll be fun exposing the nebari as it allows over the next few re-pots. Also, lots of carving planned for these later this spring. As a side note, the training pots these currently sit in are made by two of my favorite American potters, Richard Robertson and Sara Rayner :) .
IMG_6703 (1).jpgIMG_6725.jpgIMG_6726.jpgIMG_6727.jpgIMG_6728.jpgIMG_6729.jpgIMG_6707.jpgIMG_6708.jpgIMG_6730 (1).jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice! First one looks huge! Any idea on specific variety or flower color?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice! First one looks huge! Any idea on specific variety or flower color?
Nah, purchased as seedlings so no specific variety. I have seen them both flower and the flowers are an off white which is typical for seedlings I think. Thy're both pretty chunky, though that first one is THICK! The Rayner pot it's in is pushing 14" wide, I think.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quite a bold move with the first one on taking so much roots off. Definitely nice materials.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quite a bold move with the first one on taking so much roots off. Definitely nice materials.
It should be fine. I’ve found you can be ruthless when reducing Ume roots and I repotted this one at a good time. It’s sitting on a heat mat in my cold room and the temperatures in there shouldn’t fall below 45f going forward.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the future progress on these two.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those are great, looking forward to the development.

When you say you chopped back ruthlessly, was it always to a bud? I'm going to work mine for the first time this year, and my understanding is that they do not readily back-bud. That said, that may be on older wood vs. younger material you're ground growing? Curious to know how it went for you.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those are great, looking forward to the development.

When you say you chopped back ruthlessly, was it always to a bud? I'm going to work mine for the first time this year, and my understanding is that they do not readily back-bud. That said, that may be on older wood vs. younger material you're ground growing? Curious to know how it went for you.

Looking forward to seeing more!
It depends, as usual, but you should know that young and vigorous Ume bud back extremely well. Check out this thread where I've got some pictures of what happens after hard pruning https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-ume.32214/ . With these two, I either chopped back to the trunk to remove a sacrifice branch... which had developed from a bud from the trunk ;) ... or sometimes I cut a branch or secondary trunk back hard but left a few buds as I wanted to build taper and movement but wanted to keep said branch or trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It depends, as usual, but you should know that young and vigorous Ume bud back extremely well. Check out this thread where I've got some pictures of what happens after hard pruning https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-ume.32214/ . With these two, I either chopped back to the trunk to remove a sacrifice branch... which had developed from a bud from the trunk ;) ... or sometimes I cut a branch or secondary trunk back hard but left a few buds as I wanted to build taper and movement but wanted to keep said branch or trunk.

that’s perfect info, thank you!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome, i sure wish i had either on of them as they have taken on great form already in such a sort time

Michael

Top Bottom