Two more Larch's from crust

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
This first larch was from Mr. Lenz and I try to keep to his airy style when I wire it which is interesting but slowly his hand is less noticeable and my clumsy one is. The top always looks a bit too upright to me but in person it weaves more that you can see in 2-D.
oB540Nv.jpg

Here is my leaning hulk tree before de-wiring and trimming.
Y7OTHLI.jpg

A shot from the top shows lots of fine branches.
olkunWm.jpg

Here is the tree once it was re-wired and tweeked. The pot is being used for training but won't be the final one (too deep I think).
YuVCqZY.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yowza, nice base on #1. And such a thin pot!!! I love the feel of floating it has.

The hulkster to me - from the angle of the picture straight on, seems to confuse my eye at the apex area. Too much to look at/through. Course it may look completely different in real life? Could you pull the one upward moving branch toward the back right down, so it wouldn't compete with the jins? Just a little more negative space might be the ticket. Gonna be a meaty one...:)

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both nice trees. Must be nice to have a N.L. tree. I would like to see the apex of the second tree, maybe consider removing the jins. But in person it may look a lot different.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish we could grow larch down here. :( Definitely one of my favorite species for bonsai.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Crust, what he didn't give you the toys to go along with them, tell us where you live, and maybe we can fix them the way they got fixed for Nick.

I know some of the oddball features were at somepoint added by this guy or gal or other visiting for a workshop or to buy pots, or to just visit the ol Ogre. Jeez all it would take is a Boston creme donut to distract him for a while. What kind of donuts do you like??

I always enjoyed the small things Nick did to make a tree look better, even just a tweek to the angle a bud comes off a branch, some wear the name art better than others, not a knock at you, but we know Nicks eye is very good. Just a minute with your tree in his lap for a good looksee and you had the best plan for your tree, I try to use his check it over method every time, still looking for the results though, although I won't dissappoint myself, making comparisons to Nick.

Thanks for the look see, keep up the good work.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees are cool. LOVE the pots you've chosen to go with them. I know the one with the drawing is Mr. Lenz's, is the blue oval his too?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think doing away with the jins will help imensely on the second larch.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Yowza, nice base on #1. And such a thin pot!!! I love the feel of floating it has.

The hulkster to me - from the angle of the picture straight on, seems to confuse my eye at the apex area. Too much to look at/through. Course it may look completely different in real life? Could you pull the one upward moving branch toward the back right down, so it wouldn't compete with the jins? Just a little more negative space might be the ticket. Gonna be a meaty one...:)

The apex gets goofy--yes, because of the deadwood, which is in a different theme than the branching I have trained. Others that have looked at this tree have said the same thing. As usual this affect is less of a issue in 3-D but none the less it is there-- a discordance. Removing the maybe the answer but I would be left with some problems--perhaps reduction is the answer. Ultimately if I care on with this tree it will overtake the DW stylistically anyway. Thanks for your comments Judy.

On the bench my biggest question is the removal of the in side curve branch--the third branch--the one on the right. What do you think about this Miss J?

Last edited:

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Crust, what he didn't give you the toys to go along with them, tell us where you live, and maybe we can fix them the way they got fixed for Nick.

I know some of the oddball features were at somepoint added by this guy or gal or other visiting for a workshop or to buy pots, or to just visit the ol Ogre. Jeez all it would take is a Boston creme donut to distract him for a while. What kind of donuts do you like??

I always enjoyed the small things Nick did to make a tree look better, even just a tweek to the angle a bud comes off a branch, some wear the name art better than others, not a knock at you, but we know Nicks eye is very good. Just a minute with your tree in his lap for a good looksee and you had the best plan for your tree, I try to use his check it over method every time, still looking for the results though, although I won't dissappoint myself, making comparisons to Nick.

Thanks for the look see, keep up the good work.

Hmm...what kind of dounut?--bacon with slime-eato sauce. And Mr. Lenz surely does have a special evil eye but I am only a confounded hobbyist.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Trees are cool. LOVE the pots you've chosen to go with them. I know the one with the drawing is Mr. Lenz's, is the blue oval his too?

Yes--the blue oval is Lenzian.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Photoshop Trimming

Y7OTHLI.jpglarch pruning.jpg

Here's your photoshopped version of before and after. Virtual trimmings are nice, saves regret.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
On the bench my biggest question is the removal of the in side curve branch--the third branch--the one on the right. What do you think about this Miss J?

I would take a deep breath and remove it. I might be tempted to do the one above it too... (but you didn't hear that from me...)

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would take a deep breath and remove it. I might be tempted to do the one above it too... (but you didn't hear that from me...)

Whenever you have a problem branch, remove it. If you remove it and still have a problem, now you have a bigger problem!!

Top Bottom