Two-Needle Pine ID in Texas

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all, I spent the weekend at the Kalahari Waterpark Resort in Round Rock, TX, and noticed that they have 3 two-needle pines. I have been coming here twice a year and I saw them when they were freshly planted but I paid no attention to them. This time I parked close to them and while I was walking back to the entrance I noticed some off-green color foliage so I stopped and took a closer look. They are two-needle and the foliage looks similar to my JBP but I am not an expert, and I have never seen a large JBP in person. I took a few pics, as I was in a hurry at the moment. The bark on the large one is cracky, not plate-like, similar to alligator skin, and the off-green foliage was kinda powdery to the tough. Does anyone know what kind of pine it could be?

1660151145216.jpeg

1660151163175.jpeg

1660151178086.jpeg

1660151192234.jpeg

1660151235413.jpeg

1660151204529.jpeg

1660151214771.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buds("hairy looking"), needles, juvenile growth appear as Italian Stone Pine, Italian Red Pine(pinea). However am thrown off by August/second growth flush 🤔? A cone would tell for sure if present.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of Afghan Pine (eldarica) have been planted in TX and also a possible. These however do poorly in any irrigated area as root problems develop.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies.

By the blue juvenile needles and having two needles could Pinus pinea or Halepensis
I search those two, the halepensis seems to be a close match due to the needles. Stone, There are a lot of Stone pines in the area, but they all form a "broom" or "umbrella" type from very young, dropping lower branches rather quickly. The bark on this don't match either one, pinea or halepinsis... but it is a young tree and all the examples I found online for bark were mature trees. Needles are off to be an Afghan pine

I will try to look for cones next time we go there, this is our getaway place right now as the wife don't like to fly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I think the bark matches Halepensis or Eldarica more now that I see it in more detail, they have a whitish bark when young. Some people consider the Afghan pine just a subspecies of Halepensis they are very similar

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of the pics that I found for Afghan had a softer look to it, but I just found this website that has some juvenile foliage that looks similar.

And this site has a pic that resemble the young branching... so probably an eldarica.

Top Bottom