Two new junipers

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I recently purchased two bonsai from John at Bonsai Northwest. The first is a shimp ( two pics ) in an exagerated twin trunk style. The second is a procumbas sp. also in a twin trunk style. Not are the two very similar , the both share a common problem. On the main trunk of each the top of the trunk Turns 900 degrees from the plane of the tree , i.e. depending on what is the front , the apex either points directly at the viewer or directly away. There is enough foilage and secondary branching that the easy fix would be to chop the trunj just before this turn. I'm trying to determine if it's worth the effort to try to correct the bend or not.

I plan to leave the shimp as a twin trunk and jin the secondary trunk on the procumbus. Just ideas. The trees have only been with me a week and a half so nothing is planned for this summer other than to work them into full sun.

Comments welcome but be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like interesting raw material with good dense foliage.

My first thought from the little I can see is to reduce the height when first styled thereby cutting off the problem bend. It is very likely that the finial height could be one third the current height.
Second thought is the bend can be either cut off or wired to where you want it.

Next opinion please.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the shimp root connected or does it share one trunk?

It looks like two plants to me but the picture is not too clear or close enough to tell.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Al , it's one tree. My photography sucks so I'll try a little visual aid. I've spent some time today looking over the shimp and I think I've got it figured out ( right ). In real life it's kinda U shaped with the long side curving back over the center of the trunk. There's actuallu about 2" of trunk below the U. The red line represents the main and secondary trunk and the little circle is where the trunk makes it's bend toward the camera. There are a lot of secondary branches there that can be used to form a new apex so I'm not really worried about the bend on this guy

Attachments

• IMG_1382 paint.JPG
    IMG_1382 paint.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Here's another pic of the base of the shimp. The long C shaped trunk is on the right and the straighter , shorter trunk is on the left. There ois also a branch behind the junction of the two trunks that will make a nice jin

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom