Two new trees

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wasn't saying not to try to start with better material, this is not an option of getting better material. He has already purchased and has the material so why not make the best of it and enjoy it? He must have liked it or had some ideas when purchased. Work on it and learn so when you do get better material you will be more experienced.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The two "dead" branches are not dead. It looks like there are branches growing out of them. Couldn't he chop the main branch half way down on the left and try to develop a new leader from the center trunk then eventually chop the main branch and the right branch? Then he would have lots of taper and something to develop in to a nice tree.

10-brink

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I appreciate the discussion and different opinions.
The two branches on the JM are definitely dead.
The juni is not a shimpaku, unfortunately.

I will say that what I paid for these is less than what their pots would cost normally. So it's not like I could get better material for the price. If I could afford better material and was confident I could keep it alive, then I would buy it. The most I've spent on one tree was $55 for a larch. I've only been doing this for a year. In that year I've read a lot, so I feel like I have a good knowledge base, but I don't have the experience. So for now I will try to develop what I have which is mostly, well, crap. Hopefully, eventually, there will be a few trees that are respectable.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_7695.JPG
I appreciate the discussion and different opinions.
The two branches on the JM are definitely dead.
The branches are only dead to a point further down. Unless these pics are old then I clearly see new branches growing half way down the "dead" branches. If you can develop a new trunk line from a lower branch on the middle one then you can develop taper over time. Something like this? I wouldn't recommend cutting the main side branch all the way at first because it might affect the health of the tree. The yellow circle indicates why I'm saying the branches are not dead all the way to the trunk. My drawing Is not in proportion either but you get the idea.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 117962
The branches are only dead to a point further down. Unless these pics are old then I clearly see new branches growing half way down the "dead" branches. If you can develop a new trunk line from a lower branch on the middle one then you can develop taper over time. Something like this? I wouldn't recommend cutting the main side branch all the way at first because it might affect the health of the tree. The yellow circle indicates why I'm saying the branches are not dead all the way to the trunk. My drawing Is not in proportion either but you get the idea.
Maybe I can't see it clearly enough, you can disregard my former post.:)

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd say, if yoy had time and patience.. graft foliage onto the top of longest, highest branch on the juniper... jin the second longest branch. jin the whole thing and have a shari run down to the base of the tree as an extension of the jin and then make like a 4 or 5 inch jin out of the branch that is wrapping around. let it grow for a few years. ypu can always use raffia to bend the main trunk after grafts set and tree grows for a while. it'd make a nice literati. or just jin the two branches and keep the one with foliage and have an alright literati.

Top Bottom