Two Nifty Twisty Collected Birch

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
Two Nifty Twisty Collected QUAKING ASPEN

Went on a collecting trip this past weekend and thought I would show off a little:). We found about 5 acres of these twisty guys and collected a few. Potted up in 100% pumice and under mist for the moment but they are already showing signs of waking up. Thoughts?

First Tree...front, back and side views.

Second tree to come...

Attachments

• Idaho Collecting Trip 037.jpg
    Idaho Collecting Trip 037.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Idaho Collecting Trip 041.jpg
    Idaho Collecting Trip 041.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 282
  • Idaho Collecting Trip 042.jpg
    Idaho Collecting Trip 042.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
And birch #2...

Attachments

• Idaho Collecting Trip 043.jpg
    Idaho Collecting Trip 043.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Idaho Collecting Trip 044.jpg
    Idaho Collecting Trip 044.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 179
  • Idaho Collecting Trip 045.jpg
    Idaho Collecting Trip 045.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Idaho Collecting Trip 046.jpg
    Idaho Collecting Trip 046.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 140

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the first tree, there is something about it that makes it look humanlike or something. Very interesting indeed! I will send you my address so you can mail it to me ok?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was afraid I was going to say I don't think they will make it, but egads, you guys are just waking up out there ffrom the looks of the pics.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The true test will be what happens at the end of summer. A freshly collected tree will wake up and start to push due to the stored energy within the tree.....but you can't count it a success until you see a bunch of new feeder roots in addition to top growth as well. Best of luck with these Chris.....

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got one can I play...
Collected earlier this spring, I need a better picture,it has some crazy twists and deadwood.

Attachments

• birch1.jpg
    birch1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 177

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the first tree. I hope you don't mind, but I did a virt from the first pic of the first tree. I tilted the tree towards the right and put it in a shallow round pot. I think that when it starts to leaf out, you can create loose pads that cascade down the right side. A simple and tranquil looking tree.

Rob

Attachments

• Copy of Idaho%20Collecting%20Trip%20037[1].jpg
    Copy of Idaho%20Collecting%20Trip%20037[1].jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 132

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s. A couple more pics showing some similar to my virt.

Attachments

• bunjin_gra[1].jpg
    bunjin_gra[1].jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 43
  • dsc_0232vr[1].jpg
    dsc_0232vr[1].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 92

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
We collected these from about 8000 feet. In fact it was close to a ski resort and the road just up from these trees was still snowed over. You are right Jason, the real test will be to see if they push enough root this summer to sustain them. I have a greenhouse to keep them through the winter so i think that should help. From this point its up to the trees. Ill keep the pumice relatively dry without fully drying out and give them plenty of sunshine after they leaf out. This should encourage the roots to seek moisture thus growing out.

Pretty cool virt! I had actually anticipated tilting it a bit more to the left than its currently potted but all that will be determined once Im sure they are healthy and growing strong, probably 2 years from now.

Fingers crossed...

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck with them. Looks like they could be lots of fun.

However, are you sure they are birch and not quaking aspen? The bark doesn't really look papery to me (although it will probably not get that way until more mature if a birch). I admittedly don't have much experience with birch in the wild, but I have had a lot of exposure to aspen.

Either way, good luck!

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
Man, total brain-fart last night when I was posting these. Of course they are quaking aspen! I guess that's what happens when I stare at the computer too long during a day. Let me fix the title of this to Nifty Twisty Aspen.
Thanks for the heads-up, chansen.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought the one I collected was a popular (Aspen popular?) I was confused, even changed my pics name because I thought I must be wrong.

Last edited:

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man, total brain-fart last night when I was posting these. Of course they are quaking aspen! I guess that's what happens when I stare at the computer too long during a day. Let me fix the title of this to Nifty Twisty Aspen.
Thanks for the heads-up, chansen.

No problem. I'm looking forward to how they develop. I've got access to tons and tons of these, but I have yet to take the plunge (I keep finding RMJs in the same mountains... :) ).

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
Good news on these trees...I did a little digging around in the pumice and we have good root growth on both with a little more on the bigger tree (first pics). I took that one out of the mist and he is beginning to push a second growth. Im still keeping a close eye but it appears they will make it through the transplant.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome! I've seen about a zillion of those in the mountains around here too. But they're in a national forest and I haven't been given permission to dig in there.:(

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah definately aspen... I have them in my yard... beware if you're not familiar with them, they build an underground root system and will send shoots out like weeds, at least where I live they pretty much are weeds as they take over everything... I'm constantly walking through my yard picking out aspen shoots coming up where I don't want them. Once they establish a root network, they will be fine. Also, they will grow healthier if you do allow more than just this one tree to grow out of the rootball once it establishes, however with the looks of this particular specimen, they will probably be stand-alone pieces. Good luck

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so any update on these aspen? Did they survive? They look so cool - I hope they have survived...

Last edited:

chrisbotero

Sapling
Reaction score
Both of these trees are alive and well with big roots growing out of the bottoms of the boxes. I might begin some styling in the near future but it will be minimal. I want to get a really nice root base established before I mess with them too much. Ill post a few pics when they begin their fall color transition.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are neat looking trees, what do the leaves look like? Also I have never used pumice as a soil before, I suppose the idea is for drainage and ease of seperating roots and I would assume you must have to fertilize them much more as there would be no nutrients in the pumice. How do you determine the amount and intervals of fertilization as it must vary in different species.

ed

Last edited:

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
good to hear that they're both doing well. I'll be waiting for the pictures!

Top Bottom