Two questions out of curiosity.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
1. Are fallen leaves of any benefit more than just regular mulch for trees? Talking about leaves FROM the tree.

2. Has anyone had dicey access to the forum for the past 2 days?
I have and for no apparent reason. It seems cured now.

????

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. Other than possibly composting, no

2. Forum has been ok for me

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1) Depending on the tree, maybe could be used for random artsy projects, amphibian enclosures, or 'leaf litter' for blackwater fish tanks. Other than those niche uses, I don't think they're terribly useful.

2) No issues on my part

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Okay, I just wondered if a tree shed any DNA with its leaves.
And.....the forum seems ok now.

Mysterious.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Other than a product of abscission during the cycle of a year when chlorophyll gives way to carotenoids no.. possible that the leaves on the forest floor give it nutrients during root growth… but then they cause less oxygenation so… interesting thought

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First question is nobody can really know for certain. It can never be as simple as yes or no.
Second is not that I am aware of.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay, I just wondered if a tree shed any DNA with its leaves.
And.....the forum seems ok now.

Mysterious.
Do you mean like in a way that it would be possible to do a DNA analysis on a dead leaf and know what tree it came from, like they do with people and animals?
I would think that's possible. The DNA will break down as the leaf decomposes, though, so I don't imagine you could test a soil sample and know what trees are in the forest with any accuracy. Just as an example to try and clarify what you might be talking about.

There is a sort of "circle of life" thing that goes on. The elements that the tree needed to grow eventually wind up in the ground feeding the very same tree again. But I don't imagine there's any sort of direct DNA re-uptake happening. Just roots sucking up the elemental materials the thing just shed.

In terms of uses- since people brought that up- we bag them up by the bushel whenever we rake, and use them through the winter for bedding in the chicken coop in stead of buying straw.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of the nutrients are absorbed by the tree prior to abcission, so nope, except for a good place for worms to hide 😉

Nope.

Cheers
DSD sends

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you consider pine needles leaves then yes. I remember hearing somewhere that leaving the needles on the soil helped with the ph acidity, so I've just been doing that ever since and my pines look fine. 🤷‍♂️

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of the nutrients are absorbed by the tree prior to abcission, so nope, except for a good place for worms to hide 😉

Nope.

Cheers
DSD sends
I was trying to adress it in terms of the OP's original question.
Most nutrients, but not all, are obsorbed before the leaf ever falls. Like you said, a place for worms, but what are those worms doing in those leaves? Decomposing it. Don't people here routinely use worm castings or compost on their trees?
The stage of decomposition could be argued. At what point is the leaf matter no longer leaf matter because it's been processed by other organisms so many times? But in the end those elements and nutrients in the fallen leaves will wind up in the soil being obsorbed back into the tree via the root system, among other things. It certainly isn't leaves as we know them any more, but it was at one time, and contains the same matter.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are definitely nutrients still in leaves after they fall but the amounts are probably negligible in the scheme of things.
Fallen leaves do provide a place for pests and disease to lurk through winter. Matted broad leaves could reduce water and air transfer to the soil below.
The problems that may be caused will probably outweigh any benefit of leaving fallen leaves on the pots.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By feeding the worms, nematodes, beneficial bacteria and mycorrhiza, leaves play a vital function. Do leaves from a specified plant benefit that plant? My supposition is that they do, even if we don't understand it. What redundancy nature has is purposeful.
Its not all black and white. Everything we know, experience or feel is a shade of grey.

Top Bottom