Two questions (Photo Lighting and 1st Juniper)

Reaction score
Q1: What does one use to get good lighting of the subject when taking pictures indoors? I cannot kill shadows and the flash on the iPhone makes things look weird
Q2: I've already removed +50% of the Blue Rug Juniper's foliage. Can I remove move and/or would you make a different choice on where to take this plant? (Freshly cleaned/shaped last night)

Attachments

• My Blue Rug Juniper 1.jpg
    My Blue Rug Juniper 1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 41
  • My Blue Rug Juniper 2.jpg
    My Blue Rug Juniper 2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 45

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If all you have is an iPhone don't use flash. You can also try shooting into the light, (light behind tree) then try it both with and without flash.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
1. I uses a couple lights like these, and set my trees in front of a projector screen, or black painted wall. No flash. You can kind of see the setup in the attached image.

2. If you don’t have a good reason for removing foliage, don’t do it.
E8103BB6-2D08-494C-8A06-CB27D247C478.png

Reaction score
1. I uses a couple lights like these, and set my trees in front of a projector screen, or black painted wall. No flash. You can kind of see the setup in the attached image.

2. If you don’t have a good reason for removing foliage, don’t do it.

That's an amazing setup you have there! I'm several years away from having specimen worthy of that set up. I'm still just capturing photos for my log app. Some day though...some day. :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Side lights will reduce shadow for photos but any stronger source will still leave some shadow. Maybe you are a perfectionist but for me a few shadows in photos of developing trees won't matter provided trunk and branches are clear. Taking shots of advanced trees is another story and is where good lighting comes in.

50% foliage off a juniper is probably enough. Sometimes you can do more but far better to give it a rest for a couple of months before going further. Bonsai is a marathon rather than a spring to the finish. It can be hard for a start to slow down and work with growing cycles and seasons rather than our modern pace but long term results are far better.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where'd this come from?

I would recommend a little more effort in initial plant selection of possible for you.
For these BR's you only have to feel in for the trunk, when they're, apologies, like yours, tall for about 4-6 inches the bent, the are, well, not completely useless, but not as useful, or "fast", as something with a bit of basal flare, taper, and good close foliage.

I'd say the better ones are about 1/25. For me it goes, feel them all, find the 3 or so that feel better, then dig in them 3 to see which is best, if any are worth purchasing.

I like to have a full plan before I even leave the store, this helps ensure you are picking good material to begin with. Sometimes a full plan can't be had but a twist, or a feature is too good to pass up. I just consider these a bit longer term projects.

Don't get me wrong, any tree has potential, it's just that this one has the Longest timeline, and the most options, which kinda sucks for a newb.

Also though, getting in there and selecting the best of them all teaches you a lot.

In Fall, these plants will have long runners hanging over the pot, that's the first calling card when fall shopping, the largest runners almost always transfer to the largest trunks.

Sorce

Reaction score
Where'd this come from?
<snip>
It was an after xmas big box clearance item (~$10). I've only spend ~$150 for more than a dozen different types of plant to 1) experiment and learn with, and 2) figure out what I like working with and enjoy.

I've already had to throw one plant away that I killed and know I'm 5-10 yrs out from any of the cheap stuff I've bought to mature. I'm learning how to care for trees (water, fertilize, and over winter) on cheap stock before I invest in anything meaningful. Per my project plan I have to get through an entire season and learn from experts before I can invest in stock I'll really care about. That's why documenting what I learn through photos is important to me. I'm reading way more than I'm posting and absorbing what I can on the rare occasions where I post a first cleaning. I know I have a ton to learn and am in no hurry.

I do usually have a plan before I leave the store but I have been surprised when I dug out the trunk. It's not usually a "good" plan but I try and find the trunk line I want and the first branch. But, I know what I don't know and am willing to make mistakes...and learn from it.

Top Bottom