Two shohin Satsuki

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
These are two satsukis I picked up last year as pre-bonsai. The first is 'Shuho No Hikari'. It was repotted this spring and had all obviously unnecessary foliage/branches removed...it hasn't been wired yet. It's got a great nebari which is not readily seen because of the soil.

The second satsuki is 'Hakurei'. It got it's first styling with wire last summer. It was repotted this spring, and will get a second wiring after flowering. Again the nebari is awesome, but the pic isn't:(.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0665.1.jpg
    DSCF0665.1.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCF0666.1.jpg
    DSCF0666.1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 318

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice finds again, I'm going to have to take a ride, members day this week end I think, maybe it'll be my turn to make you drool.:)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Bill. These were purchased last year at the beginning of the summer sell down sale...40% off:D:D. If you go to NEBG, say hi to Teddi and Hitoshi for me.

Dave

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!!! I love satsuki.... :D The semi-cascade is going to be particularly lovely very quickly.

V

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Vic. I'm new to satsuki...traded in some Ponderosas and Yews for some Satsukis that might appreciate the warmer weather in GA (I moved from MA last summer). Your lucky to live where both Satsuki and Ponderosa do well. By the way, congrats on your own Satsukis' apparent success, and good luck,

Dave

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start. Thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Dave! And yes... our climate here is ideal for most species... only tropicals baulk, and even then only in the winter/early spring.

I had to make the agonizing choice to remove all my blossoms. I decided that since there was no way the tree would be in bloom for the show, that I was not willing to use up it's energy for no purpose... so I removed almost 400 blossoms/flower buds yesterday. The carnage on the garage floor broke my heart. :(

V

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
update

Some pics from today. I finally got around to wiring the Shuho No Hikari. Despite being quite wind burned over the winter, it has grown vigorously this spring.

Attachments

• DSCF0841.1.jpg
    DSCF0841.1.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF0855.1.jpg
    DSCF0855.1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 134

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My Hakurei continues to fill in and flowers profusely. I need to work on thickening the cascading branch, as well as the density of the foliage.

Attachments

• DSCF0842.1.jpg
    DSCF0842.1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCF0854.1.jpg
    DSCF0854.1.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 141

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm. Those don't look like azalea flowers to me. I know there are numerous types, but every one that that I've seen look different than those.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Japanese and the westerners bred for totally differnt aesthetics.

This is how satsuki azalea look though there's great variation among them as well. I don't know why you think those don't look like the azalea flowers you are used to.

Azalea flowers can be very different.

I send you a list of images in a PM showing the flower variaty among decidious and evergreen azalea.
If anyone else wants to see the list, PM me.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Dave! And yes... our climate here is ideal for most species... only tropicals baulk, and even then only in the winter/early spring.

I had to make the agonizing choice to remove all my blossoms. I decided that since there was no way the tree would be in bloom for the show, that I was not willing to use up it's energy for no purpose... so I removed almost 400 blossoms/flower buds yesterday. The carnage on the garage floor broke my heart. :(

V

Not to break your heart further, but last month Peter Warren mentioned that removing the flower buds this late in the year really isn't saving the tree any energy. All the energy is expended forming them, and opening the buds requires relatively little energy. FWIW for next time.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Considering it's now a year later. I think she will be ok.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
update

Some pics from today. I finally got around to wiring the Shuho No Hikari. Despite being quite wind burned over the winter, it has grown vigorously this spring.
Hey Dave...my Negari is this cultivar...how cold hardy is it? May need to bump my temps in the greenhouse to 30F for low...it currently is 27F for low alarm to go off. But maybe not...you mentioned wind burned...so thinking yours isn't tucked away completely...in winter. Would appreciate picking your brain. Thanks in advance.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Dave...my Negari is this cultivar...how cold hardy is it? May need to bump my temps in the greenhouse to 30F for low...it currently is 27F for low alarm to go off. But maybe not...you mentioned wind burned...so thinking yours isn't tucked away completely...in winter. Would appreciate picking your brain. Thanks in advance.
I'm honestly not sure. Unfortunately, these two were the first of all but one of my imported azaleas to go belly up. As far as hardiness is concerned, I'd assume they would need lots of protection in your locale. Frosts and light freezes would be tolerated, but I'd be very cautious letting them see temps below the mid 20's for more then a short time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm honestly not sure. Unfortunately, these two were the first of all but one of my imported azaleas to go belly up. As far as hardiness is concerned, I'd assume they would need lots of protection in your locale. Frosts and light freezes would be tolerated, but I'd be very cautious letting them see temps below the mid 20's for more then a short time.
I've the cold greenhouse...Scott said to keep it around 29F/30F. Was curious if they could handle 27F...will not allow that with his advice...and reading your reply. Sorry to hear you lost yours...off to reset my thermometer alarm.

Top Bottom