Two Sprouts, One Seed (split trunk?)

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My first post here!
I sprouted 4 orange seeds last month using the wet paper towel method. They all germinated but one was noticeably different. One of the seeds sprouted twins! I've seen bonsai that imitate this with two trees or airlayering the trunk, but I figured they were imitating two seeds sprouting close together. I didn't know this could happen in nature. Any advice on what I should do with it? It's still tiny but by the time I'm almost dead, it could be a really awesome bonsai! I've potted him/them up and if you look to the right of the base, that lump is the seed they are sprouting from:20150728_124511.jpg

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, those will be great in 10 years man.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, twins are twins are twins, even in the tree's world... :)
For the moment the only advice I think will be: let it grow ;)

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@jkl Care to embellish on why oranges make very poor bonsai? I'm new to the 'sport' and am still in the research phase. I have a feeling I will never get past the research phase...

If it's because of the large disproportionate fruit, I care not. I don't plan on letting it fruit anyway. If it's some specific headache for miniature orange trees, then I will probably just take @Alain 's advice and just have a cool plant with awesome smelling flowers.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Leaves don't reduce well, especially if stipule is large. Plant always looks stiff, and is. Breaks before it bends.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I think an orange tree could make a good bonsai. Some things to think about - As immature trees citrus are thorny. Another bigger issue is Do they grow well there? They like it hot and don't have any tolerance for cold. The plant itself wont die back until it freezes, but it will shut down growth wise in the 50s They are vigorous here. I kept container lemon tree for a decade but it gets big even with top and root pruning and I had to move it inside when we would get a freeze. They do bud on old wood when pruned. It will be a fun project for you so go for it. Eventually you may abandon it . But so what.

If I lived in Seattle I wouldn't mess with it. You can grow so may great trees there. It's a perfect climate for maples and conifers, two of my favorites.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've neglected my orange (or the like) INDOoRs for like 3 years.
It's been in a 4in plastic pot forever.
In a real dry rocks and bark mix.
Drains straight through. Real Holy.
I used to keep Sphagnum in the matching tray for the roots to grow out into.
I just put it outside a month or so ago for the first time.
It got blowed over the second day.
Been loving the 90s since.
Today is the first day it wilted.
I haven't checked on it.
Lets go take a pic Or 2.
20150804_222220.jpg

It perked BAck up!
Point is. I love this thing! I can't give it up! I'm gonna start caring for it Better! It's been knocked out the pot 5-7 Times. It's been hit with football's, hair ties, and many other random projectiles. I cut it sometimes, still waiting for it to bud elsewhere.

The roots are wild!20150804_222306.jpg
But I find something interesting about them and I want to make it a cascade eventually.

Keep it! Have great fun!

Sorce

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cool. Thanks for the replys. Maybe it's global warming but it's been 80s-90s all summer. I don't think it rains here as much as everyone thinks. Just too many complainers live here. This might be one of the best summers we've had tho. I probably won't fuss too much with the bonsai-ing then. I'll just keep it short and fat and maybe try to get a somewhat interesting trunk(s)... Already got twins... It will just live in my windowsill with its shiny über green leaves.

Top Bottom