Two Suiseki Displays in Dallas Bonsai Show

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
My good fiend, Vern Maddox, and I each had one display at the Lone Star Bonsai Federation shown in Dallas last week.

Vern won the "Best Display" Award for his California Eel River Stone, accompanied by a custom order distant mountain scroll from Stacey Muse to match the stone, my wife made the kusamon, pink knotweed in a Reiho pot. Congratulations Vern!

IMG_8865.JPG

My display is a Chinese "Lingbi" stone with a distant landscape scroll of a 5-tier pagoda amidst pine trees. My wife made the kusamon0, the turquoise pot was made by our friend, Uwe Harward,of Germany and given to my wife as a birthday gift.IMG_8724.JPG IMG_8724.JPG

Reaction score
Sweet! Your stone looks like a mountain range of which the lower parts are eroded away by sandstorms.
Or a mastodont tooth!

Very nice kusamono too, your wife is my accent plant hero!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Interesting that both displays would include a mountain in the art as well as the primary piece?
Al, I get what you mean. Usually a mountain scroll is not used with stone, another subject would be better.
For my stone, I am a cheapy and use scroll I already have. This one is short enough to fit the back board, although somewhat wide for the display. Since it is a distant landscape, focus is more on the pagoda and moon. The stone was covered with mud, I left some mud at the bottom to give it a contrast. Finding a suitable scroll and stand are the two most difficult thing for display unless one is willing to commission specific works.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Sweet! Your stone looks like a mountain range of which the lower parts are eroded away by sandstorms.
Or a mastodont tooth!

Very nice kusamono too, your wife is my accent plant hero!
Thanks for liking my wife's kusamono. Here are close-ups for the two plants. We have Chinese calligraphy for Uwe's pot, he likes it. I think he posted in his FB.IMG_3976.JPGIMG_3980.JPG

Reaction score
What I thought was cool was that even though they were reluctant towards letting you guys display stones...

That one of them actually placed and recieved an award! Competing against actual Bonsai Trees...

I guess funny enough... it most certainly is not all about the Trees?

And to think what might of been lost with the show had they stuck to their views of not allowing for stones to be displayed.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
What I thought was cool was that even though they were reluctant towards letting you guys display stones...

That one of them actually placed and recieved an award! Competing against actual Bonsai Trees...

I guess funny enough... it most certainly is not all about the Trees?

And to think what might of been lost with the show had they stuck to their views of not allowing for stones to be displayed.
When giving out the award, judges' comment was the stone, table size and height, scroll (you painted and made it) and kusamono matched each other well, no single item over powered the others. The whole arrangement and how the items were off-set were pleasing. The award was totally unexpected since Vern and I just wanted encourage more people into viewing stones.

Reaction score
When giving out the award, judges' comment was the stone, table size and height, scroll (you painted and made it) and kusamono matched each other well, no single item over powered the others. The whole arrangement and how the items were off-set were pleasing. The award was totally unexpected since Vern and I just wanted encourage more people into viewing stones.
I think this is a good story.
Not because I contributed... and not necessarily because it won an award... but, because you helped obviously open up and exposed to the show and hopefully those who attended the show... something different. That hopefully they will look at in a new light.

The award does seem to help! Good work!

Top Bottom