Two Weeks In. How am I doing?

Bumps

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two weeks into my bonsai adventure and having a hard tome convincing myself I am adequately taking care of them.

1. Brushcherry - Wilting continues to get worse. I think I pruned too much root while repotting. Is there a chance this comes back to life? This is the one I’m most concerned about
2. Serissa - Every day or two there are a few yellow leaves that fall off. How concerning is this? Otherwise I think it looks pretty good.
3. Natal Plum - I think I may have pruned too much of the foliage. To my untrained eye it just doesn’t look super healthy.
4. Ficus b. Nina - Overall I think she looks pretty healthy.
5. Tiger Bark Ficus - This one has been rapidly growing. No concerns here.

All of these are under a grow light for 15 hours each day. I am watering when the top 1-1.5 inches of soil are dry. Watering is done in Tupperware from the bottom up with sink water. I mist them with a spray bottle 2-3 times per day. Indoor temp is steady at 68° and they are not near a heat source.

Any advice/suggestions/tips?

Brushcherry.jpg Serissa.jpgNatalPlum.jpgNina.jpgTigerBark.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like you’re right on track: Brush cherry is a goner, you’ll probably lose the serissa too, and the ficus trees will be ok. Keep going.

Bumps

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like you’re right on track: Brush cherry is a goner, you’ll probably lose the serissa too, and the ficus trees will be ok. Keep going.

You're saying the Brush Cherry and Serissa will 100% die? Wasn't expecting that 😧

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You're saying the Brush Cherry and Serissa will 100% die? Wasn't expecting that 😧
You can expect to kill lots of trees as you get rolling. Especially trying to raise tropical trees indoors. But, many people get started this way. In the spring, get out and collect some big stumps that are native in your area and you can really start to have some fun.

Bumps

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can expect to kill lots of trees as you get rolling. Especially trying to raise tropical trees indoors. But, many people get started this way. In the spring, get out and collect some big stumps that are native in your area and you can really start to have some fun.

Ya I think from now on I will only buy Ficus to keep indoors and start buying trees in the spring time that will be outdoor trees.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ya I think from now on I will only buy Ficus to keep indoors and start buying trees in the spring time that will be outdoor trees.

I think you’re on the right track here, at least for now.

That tiger bark ficus will root cuttings incredibly easy - in a jar of water on a windowsill works fine - if you need something to keep you busy until spring 😜

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the hobby and the forum, Bumps. I agree with what Brian had to say here. I never really did the indoor bonsai thing but I know that's how many get their start. I've heard that Serissa is very finicky and difficult to keep alive, especially for a beginner. The Ficus tend to be more forgiving.

If you are interested in venturing into the world of outdoor bonsai, I recommend trying Junipers (Nana or Shimpaku) and Elms (Chinese Elm in particular). These are forgiving species and are good for beginners. The nice thing about outdoor bonsai is that you don't need to provide any kind of artificial environment (depending on your location you might need to give them some kind of winter protection, though).

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but it's highly advised that you join a local club. There is no substitute for learning in person with others. This forum is great and there are some very knowledgeable people on here (and some that aren't so knowledgeable but still off advice anyway🙄), but there's nothing like the real thing.

Keep us posted of your growth in the hobby. It can provide a lifetime of enjoyment (and frustration with dead trees sometimes). Good luck!

Cory

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two weeks in
pruned too much of the foliage
repotting

Lesson one.
Patience. Have patience. Trees take weeks to months to adjust to chances in circumstances. Ideally you just care for your plants when you get the,. Learn how they respond. Now you are left wondering whether you killed the plant by repotting, or whether you do something wrong in caring for them.

Patience is the hardest lesson to learn and Nr 1 killer of trees. Well, maybe nr 2.
No. Nr. 1. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Indoor bonsai can be done. I wish ones would step back and pause. Even in Florida their trees are slower growing in winter. They don't repot now.

Most I know which find success repot tropical in summer who do tropical indoors for winter. When trees are actively growing. Really pushing out growth. My tigerbark is pushing growth now, but do not be fooled. Summer growth is nothing compared to winter under a grow light.

My trees get 18 hours of grow light a day.

I do agree with Brian...but learning from our mistakes are a great way to grow. If information gained...it's never a true loss.

Enjoy your journey.

20210122_211005.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m basically going to say the same things.. Sorry about the Serissa., it DOES appear to be “toast”..

But never fear!
You can expect to kill lots of trees
LOTS!!!

For two weeks.. that’s too much “love”... I “loved” half of my initial collection to death.
Lesson one.
Patience. Have patience. Trees take weeks to months to adjust to chances in circumstances. Ideally you just care for your plants when you get the,. Learn how they respond. Now you are left wondering whether you killed the plant by repotting, or whether you do something wrong in caring for them.

Patience is the hardest lesson to learn and Nr 1 killer of trees. Well, maybe nr 2.
No. Nr. 1. :)
ALL of this is true..

get out and collect...native in your area ...have some fun.
🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Schefflera is another great one to consider, very good for an indoor plant

I think Brazilian rain trees too but I've not grown those

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ficus do amazing indoors. Think of styles. Sumo, banyan,neagari, cascade...and so forth that would make them each unique. Get their horticulture figured out...and your confidence level will grow. You may change your mind on adding only ficus.

When deciding on outdoor. Think about how you intend to winter. That will help with your selection.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I would suggest watering from the top, not sitting in a Tupperware container. Easy enough with just a few trees to take them to the sink and soak them well, let them drain a bit and repeat.

Top Bottom