TYPE OF ELM PLEASE???IDENTIFICATION.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ceder,caucasion? Or what? Spring seeding type!!!

Much better growth and vitality then the weak chinese elm seeds I purchased this season( black spot city).
This one seeding sprouted from seed that blew into the tray…….They seed every spring and sprout instntly.

Growth is terific and they get alternating leaves when side branches sprout.

Will sell next season………nice ,local ,and hardy.
Or is it just a nice tall chinese elm in the shade ……I see quite alot like that around here except they are Autumn seeding.
1FF8688C-17BE-4E56-8B55-ECAF1A926F14.jpeg5701CA39-2CAE-4220-AFEC-665861B78A1E.jpeg697F96F2-4F50-4C6C-B6F7-61FD87F2B8C1.jpeg4A6793A3-B9D5-43B3-A7B5-05D3F99D3B47.jpeg49133DA0-5640-4EEE-B2A0-51B2A9135138.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're in PA, it ain't cedar elm--which is native to North and east Texas and small sections of Fla.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think American and siberian elm are the two most likely culprits, as one is everywhere and invasive and one is everywhere and native. The bark to me looks like americana but that branch you highlighted is kind of funky looking. Could be ulmus minor or some other european elm that came up wild. It's hard to say. American elms grow faster than anything else I have ever grown in my life, even dawn redwood. But the leaves will usually get pretty big if it's really humping. Maybe time will tell. American elm will be more heat and cold tolerant than any common european elm I believe....

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Most definitely Siberian Elm. Without a doubt.
Interesting……..my property has history and I have noted other siberian species popping about…….like very early flowering Siberian Squill.
I believe it was purpose planted.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome.I likey actually!!!

The chinese elm seed I sourced this season were absolute suck…….ridden with black spot……..never seen anything like it.
This one and all other trees species grew champ.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting……..my property has history and I have noted other siberian species popping about…….like very early flowering Siberian Squill.
I believe it was purpose planted.
Has nothing to do really with a Siberian living at your property. Siberian elm was commonly planted as a windbreak in the midwest back in the early part of this century because it was quick growing. It matured into a larger tree very quickly, i mportant in areas ravaged by the dustbowl. It was cold and drought tolerant too. The practice was stopped because the species grows so quickly, its wood isn't very strong. It drops limbs very easily, which it was discovered, wasn't great, since they fell on buildings, livestock and people ;-) https://www.farmforum.net/farm_foru...6bdd-e896-5659-af6d-6b6b7fbeff46.html?redir=0

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Has nothing to do really with a Siberian living at your property. Siberian elm was commonly planted as a windbreak in the midwest back in the early part of this century because it was quick growing. It matured into a larger tree very quickly, i mportant in areas ravaged by the dustbowl. It was cold and drought tolerant too. The practice was stopped because the species grows so quickly, its wood isn't very strong. It drops limbs very easily, which it was discovered, wasn't great, since they fell on buildings, livestock and people ;-) https://www.farmforum.net/farm_foru...6bdd-e896-5659-af6d-6b6b7fbeff46.html?redir=0
.... but now with the climate changing, a lot of people are saying hey maybe these ain't so bad after all.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has nothing to do really with a Siberian living at your property.
😆

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
air-layering

See how fast they layer…..bought an ounce of seed since no pretreatmnt needed.
Will sew the seed in a day or so for a quick late crop.These grow really really fast.
34714733-7F9A-46B1-ACF0-C0DF496A3BC5.jpegF6C31725-FDDF-40B3-9116-6EAD509BB22A.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
American elm.

I need to create a tree identification thread with guides to differentiate between common confused species.

American elm has twice-serrate leaves. Each "tooth" on the leaf has two notches. Siberian elm has once-serrate leaves. I think a better description would be "single serrate" and "double serrate" but I don't make up the nomenclature :)

twice-serrate.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
American elm.

I need to create a tree identification thread with guides to differentiate between common confused species.

American elm has twice-serrate leaves. Each "tooth" on the leaf has two notches. Siberian elm has once-serrate leaves. I think a better description would be "single serrate" and "double serrate" but I don't make up the nomenclature :)

View attachment 387738
I don’t know.The leaves look too small for American elm to me.I am holding with Siberian(first picture).
American I have seen in person with much larger leaves that are coursly serrated and fuzzy too.
DA080A6A-C123-4B58-B77B-6B13BC05A72C.jpeg96A04119-38F5-4C9D-B6B3-5DA420D95A15.jpeg

Last edited:

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
American I have seen in person with much larger leaves that are coursly serrated and fuzzy too.

If the upper leaf surface is fuzzy/rough, my guess would be it's more likely slippery elm (rubra). American elm has a smoother leaf surface and shinier leaves (less hairs).

I believe both are twice-serrate. Leaf size is similar. The native ranges are pretty much identical. Slippery elm has a slippery substance under the bark...hence the common name.

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
American elm.

View attachment 387738
I agree, double serrated.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Single/double serration is a really weak field mark. Google Siberian elm and you can see dozens of double serrated Siberian elm leaves.

Also, they routinely hybridize with Slippery elm, which can give you both double serrations and smaller leaves.

Top Bottom