U.S. National Exhibition

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For you that have been there and checked out the vendor section, would you say the prices for trees, soil, tools etc is fair, or are they hiked for the show? I'd like to get some supplies there and save on shipping if I can and maybe also leave with a tree.

Thanks, Aaron.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Seeing the vendors is one of the main reasons folks attend shows...that said I think prices are normally ok but it is expensive to be a vendor at the national show and there are no guarantees. You'll find your best prices on supplies at places like stonelantern. I usually save my money to buy nicer pots or trees at the shows.

I also think there may be a pretty high sales tax that vendors in Rochester are forced to charge.

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
I have attended all the US National Exhibitions as well as other shows and conventions and have found prices to be fair and sometimes very good.
At the National show there are many vendors, excellent quality, broad selection, rare, hard to find and unusual as well as highly sought items.
There is competition for your business so that gives you the choice of who offers the best value for you. The choice at the National Exhibition is by far the best. The sales tax is the same as every other day. The Exhibition is the best and keeps getting better!! It is very inexpensive to attend and enjoy and you will be thrilled you did.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If not made of money and want best deal always ask if they will lower price on most any item. At Artisans Cup was able to get good markdown on Yamadori tree because of asking nice and being genuinely complimentary of these vendors. Also found nice and cheaper pots from Sara Rayner than from Ron Lang and better attitude as well. Don't be over awed by someones "star" value and throw away more than you really can afford. Would suggest that if vendor has arrogant or inflexible attitude letting them keep their stuff unless you just can't live without it:rolleyes:. Also shopping the net for tools and if desired "copper" wire can get a better deal.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah....
Pretty sure the last thing a vendor wants to do is take shit back home.

Sorce

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I have attended all the US National Exhibitions as well as other shows and conventions and have found prices to be fair and sometimes very good.
At the National show there are many vendors, excellent quality, broad selection, rare, hard to find and unusual as well as highly sought items.
There is competition for your business so that gives you the choice of who offers the best value for you. The choice at the National Exhibition is by far the best. The sales tax is the same as every other day. The Exhibition is the best and keeps getting better!! It is very inexpensive to attend and enjoy and you will be thrilled you did.

I would certainly agree that the US National show has the most vendors of any event I've attended and everything Mark said is true...especially the cost to attend!! Not to mention the opportunity to see some of the finest trees in the US!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great vendors and fair prices; talking with them (gasp) in person means you can negotiate a bit too. Lots of selection.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks everyone for their responce, I guess I'll be saving my pennies.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't forget, too, that you are seeing the actual tree you will be buying in person. That's worth something right there. There are some great "deals" available on the internet, but when you receive them you often find out that the pictures don't show you everything...and I'm not saying people intentionally post deceiving photos, it's just the nature of photos.

Sales tax up here is 8% I believe.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If not made of money and want best deal always ask if they will lower price on most any item. At Artisans Cup was able to get good markdown on Yamadori tree because of asking nice and being genuinely complimentary of these vendors. Also found nice and cheaper pots from Sara Rayner than from Ron Lang and better attitude as well. Don't be over awed by someones "star" value and throw away more than you really can afford. Would suggest that if vendor has arrogant or inflexible attitude letting them keep their stuff unless you just can't live without it:rolleyes:. Also shopping the net for tools and if desired "copper" wire can get a better deal.

Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience with Sara Rayner and Ron Lang. Guess everyone has bad days.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would certainly agree that the US National show has the most vendors of any event I've attended and everything Mark said is true...especially the cost to attend!! Not to mention the opportunity to see some of the finest trees in the US!!
And meet the finest bonsai artists in the country and overall cool people.

Top Bottom