Ugh silly windy days

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it’s getting quite windy here over the last couple of days and I am worried about windscorch on some of the smaller maples. I’ve mcguyver’d clear plastic trash bags over them for the moment so they still see daylight but don’t get the wind whipping through their delicate little leaves.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with his better than my 2 second attempt at a fix? They are in the most sheltered area but short of dragging them indoors I can’t eliminate the rough winds completely. What I wouldn’t give for a little outdoor pop up greenhouse but sadly that’s not an option.

thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Observation provides a guide to what level of damage creates a leaf that doesn't provide.

Once this is figured you have to allow for a certain level of ugliness to provide for your trees and not fall victim to the human need to always have things pretty.

With this information you work out a schedule to make for the least amount of unproductive leaves, and protect/prevent only before you are going to show a tree.

Dessicated leaves means much transpiration, which means as long as you keep providing the water, the traffic is being increased.

That traffic is the mechanism that provides the backbuds we all ...well...you all...think you need.

"We do Pretty" -Colin Lewis

Getting to pretty doesn't always involve pretty alone.

Sorce

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Observation provides a guide to what level of damage creates a leaf that doesn't provide.

Once this is figured you have to allow for a certain level of ugliness to provide for your trees and not fall victim to the human need to always have things pretty.

With this information you work out a schedule to make for the least amount of unproductive leaves, and protect/prevent only before you are going to show a tree.

Dessicated leaves means much transpiration, which means as long as you keep providing the water, the traffic is being increased.

That traffic is the mechanism that provides the backbuds we all ...well...you all...think you need.

"We do Pretty" -Colin Lewis

Getting to pretty doesn't always involve pretty alone.

Sorce
Thank you, I just can’t help but worry about them since the poor Beni was stripped bare in a storm. The bigger ones seem to deal with things much better but then they have a lot more foliage going on in the first place so loosing some to damage has little effect, it’s the little guys with the potential to be completely robbed that make me go “eek” when the winds picks up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
poor Beni was stripped bare in a storm

That's a lot of wind!

Was it attempting leaf drop before the storm?

Sounds so, as it takes a lot to get a Ben leaf off.

There is a line between what humans think a tree can take and what a tree can take. This line changes places depending on how far out of natural environment we provide.

A ficus from Fredmans windy home is on one end.
A ficus from the middle of the jungle is on the other.

Sorce

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was thriving wit’s plenty of new growth. It was a crazy crazy storm that had me venturing out in pj’s in the middle of the night to “save my trees” and a lot of large trees in the streets/forest areas nearby were either downed or irreparably damaged and had to be felled.

But since that stormy night I get a bit anxious when the winds start to blow a little rougher than usual.

Top Bottom