Ugly beech...

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I inherited this tree. It's ugly (in a good sense) but I love the species....never seen one on here before.
It's a Fern/Cut leaf Beech
Fagus sylvatica Asplenifolia
Had it for a number of years now, and don't know what to do with it. It's beautiful and quite different looking when in leaf. I stuck it in the ground so it can put on some girth...maybe something comes up later.
Anybody have one of these?
Screenshot_20200615-222153.png

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Love the leaf, wish I had one, but they're all grafted. As long as you're going to stick it in the ground, think about a ground layer? You've got the height to give...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, honestly, I'm just glad to have you back!

Reminiscent of an @AlainK tree, the bones are the same, and I like what he does with those bones.

Also reminds me of some older @JudyB material that has gotten lovely with simple persistence.

Sorce

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the leaf, wish I had one, but they're all grafted. As long as you're going to stick it in the ground, think about a ground layer? You've got the height to give...
Yeah then there's that graft 🤪. Second year in the ground now. First year a damn worm ate all the leaves. Don't know how it survived all year. Second year I was ready and it grew well. I'll leave it this year to get stronger and layer it next year.

Nice, honestly, I'm just glad to have you back!
Ah..love you to buddy 🤫

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey there! I've been not as active...but it is good to see you posting! Had to look the species up. Cool foliage! I'm a firm believer, when we have no vision, let it grow and offer more. Seems you are of the same belief. Can't wait for it to whisper to you what it wants to be. But until then, appreciate those leaves. So cool.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there! I've been not as active...but it is good to see you posting! Had to look the species up. Cool foliage! I'm a firm believer, when we have no vision, let it grow and offer more. Seems you are of the same belief. Can't wait for it to whisper to you what it wants to be. But until then, appreciate those leaves. So cool.
Thanks Darlene. Good to see you again to. Yeah i'm a firm believer...if one stays silent for long enough, the tree will talk to you. Problem is, I don't always understand what they say... 😁

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah found it. Here it is in leaf..
View attachment 309450

Hi Fredman,
Such a cool leaf, now I want one too 😁.
So I have had an idea you could try is to do the ground layer just below the graft (on the stronger root stock) Then you possibly get a strong tree and a barely detectable graft union.
Anyway great tree to grow.
Charles

PS- I might have to ask for a few winter growths to try and graft some, not this winter tho. Too much to do 😂😂.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fredman,
Such a cool leaf, now I want one too 😁.
So I have had an idea you could try is to do the ground layer just below the graft (on the stronger root stock) Then you possibly get a strong tree and a barely detectable graft union.
Anyway great tree to grow.
Charles

PS- I might have to ask for a few winter growths to try and graft some, not this winter tho. Too much to do 😂😂.
Hey mate. I'm not sure if I am going to layer it. The plan is to leave it and see how the graft covers. I'll dig from time to time to see what the nebari does to. I'm certain of one thing...i'm not going to leave it as is. It'll be chopped at some stage....probably lowish down.
I can layer you a section from the top in a year or two. Send it up by courier... 😉

Top Bottom