Ugly duckling Yatsubusa elm -your opinions on styling

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is kind of an ugly tree but I like ugly trees. It is a Yatsubusa elm with nice old bark and a base that flares like a horn. The trunk twists and turns - hard to see in the photo - and that is what interested me in the tree initially. I have an idea of what I want to do with this elm but I would like to hear your thoughts. The pot is a training pot. Thanks for your opinions.
image.jpgimage.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm with you, I like old gnarly twisty stuff.
The only thing that I see that I don't like much is the lack of thickness going on in the lower straight part. The actual base flair is nice, but it doesn't carry up the trunk very well.

And I don't like how straight it is there in comparison with the rest. Is there another angle that is better for not showing this? If not, then I would consider airlayering below the first curve, just below the lowest branch. Barring that, I'd make sure I had some sacrifice branches in that area on the back. If it were thicker, then the straightness wouldn't be as much of an issue.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The second pic is from a bad perspective. It really isn't straight it just has movement that is hard to photo. I will take another pic from a different angle. The thick looking part is really a twist in the trunk there.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm with you, I like old gnarly twisty stuff.
The only thing that I see that I don't like much is the lack of thickness going on in the lower straight part. The actual base flair is nice, but it doesn't carry up the trunk very well.

And I don't like how straight it is there in comparison with the rest. Is there another angle that is better for not showing this? If not, then I would consider airlayering below the first curve, just below the lowest branch. Barring that, I'd make sure I had some sacrifice branches in that area on the back. If it were thicker, then the straightness wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Judy read my mind. The only thing I would add is that if you go the sacrifice branch route, I'd put it into a bigger pot (I think it's too cold where you're at to plant in the ground).

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the tree a lot…ugly is only in the eye of the beholder. I do agree that the flare at the bottom is a bit off putting but would like to see the photo before anything definitive on that. I would pick which one of the limbs at the bottom left and right to keep and let them grow out. Also, cleaning out the apex and letting it grow.

Top Bottom