Ugly Hornbeam

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I asked the guy at the bonsai nursery what hornbeams he had around and he said he had one and called it "the ugly one over there." I bought it and have since started an air layer near the base of the tree. I think the ugly, gnarled section of the base will make for a fun tree in and of itself and I hope to get several other Korean hornbeams from this tree over the years.

The layer is maybe 2 weeks into the process. Initially, many of the leaves yellowed and wilted, but the tree has since recovered and is sprouting some new growth and the remaining leaves have regained their rigidity. The browning or dead leaves are from a pest that was munching on the leaves before I got it...nothing seems to be eating on it anymore since I brought it up here to Yosemite. Comments and critiques would be cool. Thanks for taking a look!

--Joe

Attachments

• P6071668.jpg
    P6071668.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 123
  • P6071666.jpg
    P6071666.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 108

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would make a much larger sack of moss or what ever you have used. This will dry out way too fast.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Find a plastic container like this. Im making a clump. I have since wrapped it in tin foil to reflect sun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Original air layer pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 53

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Alright, thanks guys. I'll get it wrapped better for sure. I have been checking to see if there is condensation spots on the inside of the bag and so far so good.

Top Bottom