Ugly thorny misfit

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
With the tree tied in I could add the soil. The tree was watered in and I began pruneing the tree for shape. A few branches were wired and a few were cut off.

Did I improve the plant?
Asthetically as a bonsai I think so.

Will it ever be a great tree?
Hell no, but it was a great exercise in seeing if I could radically remove such a terrible root base on a tree. This technique could be used to help a really good tree with a poor base.

What does the future hold?
Well as I see it....I think there may be two really good trees here. A slanting shohin with the dead wood on top useing the straight portion of the top after the trunk thickness change.

And a more upright shohin tree with the base. The base will need some carving with maybe a hollowed trunk to induce better taper.

Time will tell on both these projects till the tree recovers and shows strong signs of growth.

To a happy winter, Al

Lovely ! What else can I say.

keep it green,
Harry

Decoy Octopus

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Smoke, I'd love to see the progress you've made in the last two years with this tree. Pyracantha have always reminded me of my favorite climbing tree when I was younger, the American Mountain-Ash. I miss Michigan summers... One day I will bonsai that species!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's a shame the roots weren't just a little less outragous... I'm fond of crazy root systems... they have character that appeals to me. But you made the best of a bad situation for sure.... it just took something of the spirit away as well.

I'm not as impressed with the tree as I am your skill... which is considerable. Well done.

Hugs,

V

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, where you incised the tree roots for layering, I suppose after the root establishes fine roots you will cut off the bottom? I guess this will not affect the roots beneath the soil, or maybe I am asking how you remove the bottom part, will it be intertwined or attached to roots beneath the original soil line.
The final pic of it looked like a great start though. Another question I am not familiar with growing roots in the medium you used. I have seen several different types that look similiar , like fine gravel in different colors, is the advantage quicker root growth, better drainage or maybe both?

Well I did not see the second page before I posted this and you answered the question I had about removing the large roots and the roots beneath the soil line. This is amazing to me and I would never have considered it being workable.! This method has left you with a mature looking trunk and very fine roots and seems to have many applications, thanks for sharing this.

ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom