Ugly tree thread: Ondae corkbark JBP

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As requested, here is my ugly Ondae corker JBP. I'll show different possible fronts on separate posts to avoid confusion. Here is the present front (View1), along with some bark closeups. The second section of trunk actually pitches forward, and is just about over the front-left corner of the pot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 155

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
View 2

Tilting it up on the right, pitching it to the left makes some sense of the current movement and branch structure:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 130

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
View 3

Tilting it up at the front-left corner makes it more upright, but also places the primary branch to the back, and takes out some movement and taper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 115

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
View 4

Could tilt it even further left, nearly into a semi-cascade:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 124

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
View 5

Tilting it the same way as view 2, but changing the front by about 180 degrees...interesting but not the best base:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 130

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brian,

First it is definitely not ugly. ;)

That out, I like a semi-cascade (more tilt than #4) or #5. Opinion is based only on the pics.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Earlier this spring I attempted 2 cleft grafts onto the second section of trunk; both failed. I still have hopes for the approach graft on the primary branch, and maybe I can attempt another approach graft in the trunk...barring that,

...what would you do?

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3 could be interesting if you can pull the top branches down and the bottom branch around.

I hate suggesting this, but have you thought about cutting off the long straight portion of the trunk and working with the bottom branch for a smaller tree? You could get a very nice powerful tree that will accent the powerful base (and not have to worry about the long straight second half of the trunk). *ducking for cover*

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hate suggesting this, but have you thought about cutting off the long straight portion of the trunk and working with the bottom branch for a smaller tree? You could get a very nice powerful tree that will accent the powerful base (and not have to worry about the long straight second half of the trunk). *ducking for cover*

I believe that was suggested before... :D ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Earlier this spring I attempted 2 cleft grafts onto the second section of trunk; both failed. I still have hopes for the approach graft on the primary branch, and maybe I can attempt another approach graft in the trunk...barring that,

...what would you do?

Try a couple of approach grafts...if it fails (doubtful), I'll remove the top straight branch (as suggested before and by Mike above).

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe that was suggested before... :D ;)

Now that you mention it, I think I had suggested this a while back on a cork bark JBP - not sure if it was the same tree as this one :)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Now that you mention it, I think I had suggested this a while back on a cork bark JBP - not sure if it was the same tree as this one :)

Yep, same tree, new thread. I'd prefer to keep as much of it as possible; chopping it down to the first bend is truly the last resort...although it does have 2 branches at that first bend, so it would be possible to have a first branch and new apex.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, that thing is hideous! Send it to me and I will get rid of it for you! :p

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Brian.. So my reply with a plan in your ezo spruce thread regarding this tree is not do able?

Rob

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It is doable, but instead of taking that "front" branch you suggested moving up with a clockwise motion, it would have to go counter-clockwise with a bit of a twist, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is doable, but instead of taking that "front" branch you suggested moving up with a clockwise motion, it would have to go counter-clockwise with a bit of a twist, if that makes sense.

Yes, I understand what you mean. If it is possible, seems you would probably have a nice shohin with a very nice base. Of course, it would take like 4-5 years to structure it. However, since the tree would be so small, it would not take much effort to get it to fill in.

**edit** I just looked again and it would be too big for a shohin, still a nice Chuhin, maybe...

Rob

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Careful with that twisting Brian... ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Did you ever think of air layering off the top half of the tree with the long straight trunk and utilizing the low portion?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Did you ever think of air layering off the top half of the tree with the long straight trunk and utilizing the low portion?
Yeah, but I'm not fond enough of the cultivar to bother. If I go with the lower part as the tree, it's a chop.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can't bend or graft branches to the upper section then I would chop it. A semi cascade could work but it would still need a comb-over. It could be an impressive shohin.

Top Bottom