Ugly trees.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I just want to know what is going on with the wire on the tree(s) in the background.
It's just a baby bougie swinging on the strong, burly arms of his father while the mom takes a selfie in the foreground. One happy family. Sometimes life is good for the bougie-oisie.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have two. First two I ever owned. Socially acceptable beauty may never be in their IMG_20180627_175346805.jpgIMG_20180627_175203177.jpgfuture, but we've been through a lot together.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know, it's a love/hate relationship with them.
It's just never had a meaningful growth season for any of the three that I've had it. It was an impulse WalMart "rescue plant". This is the second season in that pot, so I'd be excited for some vigorous growth.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It's just never had a meaningful growth season for any of the three that I've had it. It was an impulse WalMart "rescue plant". This is the second season in that pot, so I'd be excited for some vigorous growth.
I understand. Mine was a HD "I'm sick of winter" impulse buy. It's quite happy right now, but that could change any minute.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand. Mine was a HD "I'm sick of winter" impulse buy. It's quite happy right now, but that could change any minute.
Got any particular care tips for me? I'll take "quite happy" over "limping along " any day.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Got any particular care tips for me? I'll take "quite happy" over "limping along " any day.
I may be jinxing myself here, but it's on the east side of my house, gets morning sun, shaded in the afternoon. I repotted it from the fluffy soil with the peace rock. I don't water until it's a bit dry, but not completely. I try not to look at it directly and curtsy in front of it. ;)

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It might be having a bit of a temper tantrum because I cut through its trunk with a saw yesterday. However, I’ve saved it from a life of obscurity, so hopefully it will cheer up. It had previously been destined to grow forever in the shadow of the much larger evergreen tree that it sprouted beneath. Now it has a chance to experience the sunshine unfiltered.
New and improved! The ugly mulberry is now even uglier than before. I partially defoliated in order to reduce transpiration demand because the root system of the air layer was not as extensive as I’d thought and I was starting to see wilting on the branches.
3606BAA3-92D4-4D45-A8EE-693E48936FF8.jpeg

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
mulberries seem to be hard to kill. I replanted mine this spring into a basket, its roots have filled the basket already.....

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
That is pretty much the whole package right there. The only mitigation to the ugliness is the green in the pot harmonizing w the color of the bark. So close to perfection, alas.

Top Bottom