Ugly Trident maple stock

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1000.jpg1001.jpgThis tree is a good example of why I think it is worth it to buy bonsai stock. this trident has a nice base, can be cut back and carved to some decent taper, and there are branches in most of the right places. The best part, though, is the back of the tree.

Attachments

• 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry about the picture thing. The top two pics are the back of the tree, which has some big scarring. The more I looked at the tree, the more interesting the back seemed. I decided to make it the front, and in time I think it can be a very good tree. Tree is about 24 inches tall, solid three inch trunk and five inch base. Cost - $200, which I think is a small price to pay for this stock. hell, I could take $200 worth of cuttings off this in one season and recoup my investment ...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the base on the "front" best, but the carving on the "back" could be fun. Nice movement!

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Judy. The big roots will eventually be cut away, so they don't really matter. The base is good from both sides, the back side just looks to be interesting.

Top Bottom