UK plant passports

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Trying to fathom all the implications of this for small scale mail order sellers WITHIN the UK. Has anyone spoken to APHA about bonsai by any chance in case there’s some handy exception (I’m not holding my breath!)?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you look at the website, it says that this is for plants that are to be planted somewhere, are over 3 metres tall or that have been planted. I guess with bonsai there would be some wiggle room?

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think planted in a pot counts!

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I think this only applies if you are sending plants to channel islands or island of man. too many ways around this in main land UK just don't inform the postal service it a plant etc.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
From what I read it applies even if a grower simply takes plants to a show within the UK in their van, not even fo sell stuff!

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
If a UK garden centre has two sites 11 miles apart, if what I read is correct then to move stock from one to the other the plants need passports! :D

zedmarcus

Sapling
Reaction score
If you look at the website, it says that this is for plants that are to be planted somewhere, are over 3 metres tall or that have been planted. I guess with bonsai there would be some wiggle room?
Applies for all plants for planting, so any plant that "could" be planted in either a pot or in the ground.
I think this only applies if you are sending plants to channel islands or island of man. too many ways around this in main land UK just don't inform the postal service it a plant etc.
Applies to all plants sent via the post or courier, under the general "distance seller" regulations. All need to display a plant passport on the packaging or attached to the plant itself. (In effect, APHA would never be able to stop and check a plant package, so kind of a pointless exercise. But rules are rules).
From what I read it applies even if a grower simply takes plants to a show within the UK in their van, not even fo sell stuff!
Nope, doesn't apply to movement of plants if they are not changing ownership.
If a UK garden centre has two sites 11 miles apart, if what I read is correct then to move stock from one to the other the plants need passports! :D
Nope, well possibly. Depends if they are registered under the same plant passport registration number or if they are separate.

Plant passporting in the UK has become a nightmare, with new regulations introduced by DEFRA regarding the importing / exporting / internal movement of specific plants (high risk plants), with no involvement or consultation with the businesses that have to now deal with the mountains of red tape that have to be completed. Completely understand that UK plant biosecurity is a massive issue, but they've made it so difficult (and so expensive) to operate, many smaller businesses may end up having to close down.

Last edited:

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
For bonsai nurseries who have yamadori and “not 100% identified” species/cultivars and are very often redistributing private collections they have bought it’s particulary hard to pass the inspections I imagine

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have bought 2 packages of beech trees, from a nursery, raw material packaged in shrink wrap. One of the trees in the pack has a plant passport attached to it.
I dont remember the same being on the small hornbeams I bought, but they came in a box rather than shrink wrapped.. Anyways, yes, seen the passport recently on most things.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I have bought 2 packages of beech trees, from a nursery, raw material packaged in shrink wrap. One of the trees in the pack has a plant passport attached to it.
I dont remember the same being on the small hornbeams I bought, but they came in a box rather than shrink wrapped.. Anyways, yes, seen the passport recently on most things.
Was that from a general nursery or a bonsai one?

Top Bottom