UK sources for bonsai specific starter material

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hi all, I am after some starter material, cutting type stuff of various species that are popularly used for bonsai, but not landscape planting and because I am a tight arse I don’t want to buy a tiny £100 Itoigawa etc just to take cuttings. It appears this whole brexit thing has severely limited the options of buying stock to pretty much UK vendors only. So I am after:

Itoigawa juniper - maybe kishu
Hinoki cypress - either straight species or sekka
Arakawa maple
Trident maple - though I will grow probably grow some from seed this spring

I am sure others will come to mind, but these would be a good start. If anyone knows any sources post a link, message me etc and ill be very grateful. Cheers.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
good work @Lutonian !!

I'd also add Beechfield Bonsai near Telford and All Things Bonsai near Sheffield.

If you can sift through the massively overpriced stick-in-pots, eBay can be a good source too.

I would say getting to a nursery in person is the way to go, in my experience you're mush more likely to get reduced prices and good deals in person.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Other good sources are local clubs and bonsai car boot sales. For example, in Yorkshire the Doncaster bonsai experience is often very good value. Full disclosure, I'll hopefully be selling seedlings and pots there in Feb. Bit far from Oxford :)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
kaizen tends to have lots of 5-6 tree 'starter' packs of varied species throughout the year. looks like theyre all out atm. some go for like £30.
i cant see you getting to any of the other places on your boat mate tbf🛶😊

ps looking forward to updates on some of your deciduous stock

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Seeds and plants suppliers non bonsai:

Plants:

Seeds:

https://www.rarexoticseeds.com/en/ (not a british website but will post to U.K)

https://silverhillseeds.co.za/ (not a british website but will post to U.K)

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Awesome @Lutonian thank you for those links. I know a few of those but there are several more I didn’t know about. Unfortunately none have what I’m after in stock, but a couple of them will hopefully do so in due course. It just seems to be difficult to find the traditional material in the uk.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Other good sources are local clubs and bonsai car boot sales. For example, in Yorkshire the Doncaster bonsai experience is often very good value. Full disclosure, I'll hopefully be selling seedlings and pots there in Feb. Bit far from Oxford :)
Yes, wee bit far for me I’m afraid. I get a nosebleed if I go too far north of Birmingham 😉 I do keep thinking about joining Swindon bonsai club, but i just haven’t got round to it yet. Reckon I would have more luck for that sort of thing there though.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
good work @Lutonian !!

I'd also add Beechfield Bonsai near Telford and All Things Bonsai near Sheffield.

If you can sift through the massively overpriced stick-in-pots, eBay can be a good source too.

I would say getting to a nursery in person is the way to go, in my experience you're mush more likely to get reduced prices and good deals in person.
Yes I’m probably just having trouble being an armchair bonsaiman, but there does seem to be a bit of a dearth of bonsai related stuff in the area. Any nurseries you recommend around your way? My mum lives in Somerset where there’s a couple, but i rarely get an opportunity to make a day to do anything bonsai related at the moment.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
kaizen tends to have lots of 5-6 tree 'starter' packs of varied species throughout the year. looks like theyre all out atm. some go for like £30.
i cant see you getting to any of the other places on your boat mate tbf🛶😊

ps looking forward to updates on some of your deciduous stock
no, but lucky for me i do have access to roads and wheels you know! I’ve still got plans to start the country’s first float bonsai nursery though.

I’ll soon be giving some updates on my trees, still no prizewinners yet, but they’re taking shape, slowly. I’m looking forward to diving into your and everyone else’s updates as well, been away for too long!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
no, but lucky for me i do have access to roads and wheels you know! I’ve still got plans to start the country’s first float bonsai nursery though.

I’ll soon be giving some updates on my trees, still no prizewinners yet, but they’re taking shape, slowly. I’m looking forward to diving into your and everyone else’s updates as well, been away for too long!
I don’t think I saw it mentioned but don’t forget about herons bonsai!

Top Bottom