Ulmus cutting bt03

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Just a small observation. most of your trees generally all look the same. a spindly trunk, with branches starting three quarters of the way up the trunk. in nature, trees dont all look alike, but yours do. maybe in future when giving styling advice, it would be easier to just say, look at my trees, they all look the same, therefore so should yours:)

20160727213848-02d0cb8e-me.jpg

larix12-02_161217a-jpg.126514

Hope you dont take it the wrong way, its just something ive noticed. ive nothing against what you do with your trees, we all have our own tastes.;)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
most of your trees generally all look the same.

Yes, I must admit that's true - to some extent.

Attachments

• berberis01_180822b.jpg
    berberis01_180822b.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 32
  • acerc01_151021a.jpg
    acerc01_151021a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 33
  • lonicera03-roch_161105b.jpg
    lonicera03-roch_161105b.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 31
  • acerb02_180317c.jpg
    acerb02_180317c.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 25
  • pin_mugho_180808c.jpg
    pin_mugho_180808c.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 23
  • pin_sylv10_180829a.jpg
    pin_sylv10_180829a.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 24

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Another "spindly" tree, a 25-yr-old Larix x marchslinsii, 25 cm tall (10 inches), no "dead wood" but a few branches, certainly not a main feature. Or at least not a fatso with 90% dead rotten wood:

With hedgehog bones:

mlz9403_181021a.jpg

With Atlantic stones:

mlz9403_181021b.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Larch is a conifer, but it looks like the beech. as i say, do not take it the wrong way. but to me, many of your trees just look the same, whether it be a conifer or a deciduous. thats what you like, so carry on.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
do not take it the wrong way. but to me, many of your trees just look the same, whether it be a conifer or a deciduous.

Hi Bobby, yes, that's right.

It's probably a sort of claim, like "we"re alive and well", opposed to "We were great and now we're rottig away" - look how great we were before we chose to be 'impaired", "disabled", or almost dead.

It's a choice of what one sees the future.

I like healthy trees with as little "dead" wood as can be.

I like Life, the future, not a sick view of Life-after-Life like rotting or dead-dry trees.

It really looks insane to me. I don't phantasise on death, decay, suffering or whatever : when I imagine the future as a tree, I am a slender, strong tree, not a sick, crippled tree.

You may find it more sexy, I don't mind, but that's not my cup of tea.

I prefer healthy strong trees. I'd rather fantasize on life, not death.

Why do some imagine a venerable tree as sick and on the verge to die?...

As if trees, and people, were just like self-carved images of a personal universe.

From my early childhood, I've loved trees, I've always tried to rise those that were a bit different, but I never tried to make those who were healthy look like "beautiful handicapped" trees. To me, that sounds a bit insane.

And "styling" a tree to make it look like a cripple sounds totally insane to me. OK, sado-masochism is an option, but that's not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A wise man said:

Bonsai is the art of distilling the magic of an ancient tree into a miniature form that is pleasing to the eye

Nature gives us limitless variety, No two trees are alike.

In order to create interesting bonsai we need to free our imagination and encompass the infinite wonder of the world around us...

Ancient woodland is renowned for its venerable old trees.....

Ancient trees are often completely hollow.....

Centuries of gradual decay often produce some truly spectacular trees....

Understanding how trees deal with damage, how they repair themselves and how they continue living for a thousand years in spite of everything the environment throws at them is fundamental to producing interesting and emotive bonsai....

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Bader

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A wise man said

I've seen loved ones die. I have a personal definition of "Wisdom" now that I won't test to anyone who doesn't know me.

Ancient trees are often completely hollow.....

Young people too, sometimes :)

Just for the fun:

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I can't believe I've posted so much off-topic digressions, including a lot of crap, in this thread... 😔

Back to "Ulmus cutting bt03" :

May 2020 :

ulmus.p.suber-bt03_200518a.jpg

November 2020 :

ulmus.p.suber-bt03_201112a.jpg

Today, afer repotting :

ulmus.p.suber-bt03_210209a.jpg

The buds were beginning to swell, and a cold spell was on the way so I put it in my basement (about 13°C). The buds continued to swell even faster, so I decided to repot it.

The top needs trimming, maybe (1) or (2) to begin with, the 2nd and 3rd branches on the right are a bit straight, perhaps a bit of wiring could improve the movement, and I wonder if tilting it a bit more on the right would be OK. Not sure about that though. No "cork bark" so far.

ulmus.p.suber-bt03_210209a-V.jpg

And yes, another tree with "a spindly trunk, with branches starting three quarters of the way up the trunk" (24 cm from the roots to the top, about 10 inches), but that's how most young, healthy trees look like, don't they?

And if any form of "art" is the mirror of one's soul, I'd rather be slender and healthy than fat and maimed, huh, huh... ;)

Reaction score
I see it as your own style. It’s recognisable. I like it. Airy and light, feminine and elegant. But I also like the ‘dark side’ of bonsai, majestic, old, decay, grotesque.

Top Bottom