Ulmus Jacquelin Hillier - Would You Repot Now?

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
So I couldn't resist picking up this Dwarf Elm from a roadside nursery but had to quickly treat a minor case of scale with some oil spray after scraping them off.
Otherwise looks really healthy and totally rootbound. Looking to repot asap. Would it be safe to do so now or wait till spring? Should I bare root carefully?
Maybe removing 1/3 of the roots but leave some of the old soil and then backfill with standard bonsai mix. I've searched the forums and sounds like I could get away with it if I take it easy?

Attachments

• DwarfElm1.jpg
    DwarfElm1.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DwarfElm2.jpg
    DwarfElm2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 134

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Repot in Spring, as is the usual instruction.

Just keep up with watering needs.. I remember reading in a book, of an author's experience with a person and their tree. They were caring for it, for something like 10-20 years, without repoting, but they had to dunk it in a bucket of water everyday, once or twice (this is an old myth of bonsai, the practice of dunking, but could be used in certain circumstances). The tree was completely healthy, each year.
The author eventually took on the tree and saw how terribly pot bound it was, and obviously sorted it out. The person did not know what to do, and so they kept watering it in this fashion.

The point is, seemingly, no matter how bad the situation, you can still keep a tree healthy by catering to its needs properly. You can just make those needs easier on yourself but maintaining in certain ways.
I'm sure this can wait till Spring :), as Walter says, bad time for repoting now.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Indeed I still have a tremendous amount to learn. Thank you for nudging me back to the rules. So glad I asked. I need to stop reading posts where the rules are being bent and thinking I could get away with it. Im still a white belt and have no business thinking to try black belt techniques. I will slow down, research more and then research more. I realize now I need to NOT look for answers that fit what I want but instead what the tree needs. Anyway. Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you want to kill it repot it now! You need to do a real lot of reading still.

I don't agree at all :

J. H. elms are very resilient, they can be repoted, root-pruned almost any time. Walter is wrong, he must have mistaken JH elm with another species, or never had a JH elm.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't agree at all :

J. H. elms are very resilient, they can be repoted, root-pruned almost any time. Walter is wrong, he must have mistaken JH elm with another species, or never had a JH elm.
I would agree that a JH elm can handle it but still think it a bad idea for a newbee.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
still think it a bad idea for a newbee.

Newbies have to learn. They can learn that it is safe to repot a JH elm now, as long as you take good care of it. It's pretty easy actually.

Anyway, I've never seen any "good" JH elm bonsai so far, so what can you lose?...

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The leaf looks like a Zelkova, not JHE.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Ok.. glad to see that it is at least possible if this is really a JHE as was named on the tag. Here is a pic of the leaves for reference. Soo now I'm not sure if I should attempt it or not. It wasn't a big investment and willing to learn but I heed advice given and do not want to be reckless.

Attachments

• 20200718_201412.jpg
    20200718_201412.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 89

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok.. glad to see that it is at least possible if this is really a JHE as was named on the tag. Here is a pic of the leaves for reference. Soo now I'm not sure if I should attempt it or not. It wasn't a big investment and willing to learn but I heed advice given and do not want to be reckless.
It is a J H elm. Leaves look like mine. Zelkova is different.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Newbies have to learn. They can learn that it is safe to repot a JH elm now, as long as you take good care of it. It's pretty easy actually.

Anyway, I've never seen any "good" JH elm bonsai so far, so what can you lose?...
Ignore all of the above. It is like throwing a child in the water to see if it can swim. Aside from that it is clear from this response that the poster has very little regard for your tree. Also consider that the poster is in France with a zone of 9A, nearly tropical, whereas you are in zone 5B. This is very bad advice for you on all counts.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
my 2 cents... let it grow this summer and bare root it in the spring. If anything, you can reduce the main trunk now it should back bud nicely. But if I were you, I would air layer so then you have 2-3 trees to pay with:)

Sno

Mame
Reaction score

Walter Pall has a nice one .

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Listen to Walter.
And me.
Don't do it.
Everything in it's proper time.
Elms are tough.
But not that tough.
Even the toughest elm on the planet,the Siberian elm isn't this tough.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Too funny..lol..Walter's JHE is amazing and inspiring! I'm learning that same species may require different care for different zones. I will definitely wait till spring for the repot and will ponder trunk cuts or air layering. Decisions..Decisions. Thank you all for your guidance.

Top Bottom