Ulmus Minor #2

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello All,

This is a Field Elm, Ulmus Minor (not an English Elm, the English Elm is a cultivar of Ulmus Minor Atinia), bought recently from Kaizen Bonsai. BobbyLane in fact pointed it out, it was a really good price for the tree and I was really pleased with it when it arrived. I'm unsure if Bobby realises it was me that bought it, I may or may not have purposely not told him ...

I'll do my usual shpeal talking about it, after the pics, everyone wants pics, not talk...

Before (not much to see, its a good healthy bush, this was when bought):
DSC_2192 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2189 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[09-07-20]

After:
DSC_2209 Ulmus Minor Front by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2211 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2216 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
(The wiring was well done, I'll have no one tell me otherwise, but yeah I see the gaps, it was difficult... will still do the job!)

DSC_2218 - Ulmus Minor Close up bark by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2220 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2224 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[10-07-20]

I don't think I have spent so many hours on one tree before. It was awesome.. Really enjoyed it, also full of nerves. I enjoyed wiring, and it went well. Considering how careful and gentle I had to be with the bark in places + leaves, young shoots. It went well. It will be better when pruned in Winter and wired again. I think it will look killer in winter, once developed a bit more.

Good bits:
- I like the bolt upright trunk and deadwood/wound, really great feature, one of the big reasons I bought it. I love it.
- It looks like it was pruned, perhaps by Graham Potter at some point as it had a good few well developed branches in places. The crown is 2-3 stages ahead in development, than the rest of the tree. It was adequately cut back hard to try and balance the energy in the tree.
- Nice base on it, few large roots which add character and stability to the image. Old looking. But could be better.
- Trunk is a good size and girth.
- Has that great bark at the top, and middle has plating of bark, which is delicate. The bark underneath looks mature and good too, I am not too concerned about it falling off, it will look good both ways.

Things I was working on and looking out for:
- Putting movement in to the branches and wiring tips up, where possible. Movement of the branch was prioritised over the tip pointing up. The tip is temporary, the 2-3 year old branch is much more permanent.
- Internal twigging. Some branches you may notice are somewhat bare in places and it may seem like I should have cut back harder. The species back buds very well, and I have cut those branches back enough that I believe I should see back budding and get branches where I need them.
- Wanting the branches to be wild and untamed, to an extent. Some branches may look too long for the tree? That's fine. This is not a perfect image of a pine tree/triangle. What I am starting to believe, which is good for me, is imperfections are a good thing.. Depending on what your aim is with the tree.
- A number of guy wires to pull the branches down, add to the image of maturity. Guy wiring branches down will be, I think, a constant practice on this tree for a few years. I need to pull them down but also allow the tips to raise up, something I tried to do.

Overall, I am really happy with this tree and really enjoyed working on it and wiring it.
In winter, I'll have the chance to adjust wire more easily and get a better vision for the tree and what needs to change.
I have an image of this tree in my head and I know exactly where its going and how I want it to look.

Would love any good or bad bits from people, suggestions for future. I have the image in my head of what I want, but I'm open to ideas.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am also thinking of adjusting the image slightly, as I notice in mature Field Elms, their top half branches are really quite vertical, whereas bottom half and down are more horizontal and sagging.
I have a bit more research to do and thinking, as to whether I will change my current style, to match more of the real tree of its species.

Ulmus_minor_'Procera'.jpgUlmus_minor,_Nostra_Signora_di_Castro,_Oschiri,_Sardinia,_Italy_2.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
before the dutch elm disease many English elms looked like this in the landscape, especially the tall upright ones.

i think this look would suit the tree
a wider top
Screenshot_20200710-212316_Google.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It currently has quite a larger top than bottom, do you not think?
Its very much an upside down triangle at the moment.

The only big stand out issue with that idea is that I'd want the middle trunk more on show, to show that deadwood feature. Its a big part of the tree and its image.
Like I said though, I'll have a think but I am very happy with this currently.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yeh it does.
going to give folk nightmares with that deadwood trunk. please dont spoil it by whacking on a big blob of ugly cut paste, or cement!;)

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree, lots of character! How tall is it right now?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yeh it does.
going to give folk nightmares with that deadwood trunk. please dont spoil it by whacking on a big blob of ugly cut paste, or cement!;)

Its my main feature, I wouldnt do that. It is a very scary type looking tree. Hopefully my styling is wild enough to fit the tree. I am happy with what I have done with it. My aims and things I was going for, all in keeping with what we have talked about in past, and back budding will help me out in places. Previously experience with the species, has taught me that it will back bud and by how much, so I have factored that in.

Nice tree, lots of character! How tall is it right now?

Hmm about 30-35cm, ill measure tomorrow and let you know. Bit dark now, its 00:37am :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started an air layer on this, as I kept thinking of a much better shorter tree. I got bored with this fast, as you can see by the no updates on the thread. Its got a great base though.

Hopefully ill have the 2 trees by the end of the year.
Air layer pics and info:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I started an air layer on this, as I kept thinking of a much better shorter tree. I got bored with this fast, as you can see by the no updates on the thread. Its got a great base though.

Hopefully ill have the 2 trees by the end of the year.
Air layer pics and info:

I get bored of the tall straight ones too, eventually the saw comes out and something more interesting is developed. or the layer in this case!

Top Bottom