Ulmus Minor (2007-2017-...)

Reaction score
It must be the slowest developing tree that i have.
The start in 2007. A young cheap plant. The subtle movement, the base and the scar-less trunk attracted me as a beginner.
ulmus minor 2007.jpg
In the first year i let it grow. In 2008 i tried defoliation. The tree stayed bare from june until spring 2009. I put it in the ground from september in the hope to save it.
2010: the tree survived. Letting some escape branches.
ulmus minor 2010.JPG
2013: after regular cutback in the following years it created some ramification
ulmus minor 2013.JPG
2015: But with the slow development more and more the tree got neglected.
ulmus minor 2015.JPG
2017: After i repotted it in 2016 i have let it grow and selected some sacrifice branches. I made a plan together with my master. When we leave the tree like this it will always be a small tree with a slender trunk, small branches and big leaves. The tree doesn't tell a story. If we want this tree to be something by 2027 we have to plan the road ahead.
After leaf hardening:
ulmus minor juni 2017.JPG

Reaction score
The first growth is almost hardened. If i do nothing the tree will stop growing and just sit on my bench being lasy. Small interior branches will get weak.
ulmus minor 2017 eerste groei.JPG
So the top of the tree has been cut back. For the lower branches a leader was chosen to pull as hard as possible. The rest of the branches were kept small so much of the energy is directed to the pulling branches.
ulmus minor 2017.JPG
Sacrifice on the left.
ulmus minor 2017 after leafcut.JPG
Sacrifice on the right
ulmus minor 2017 after leafcutt.JPG
The top sacrifice, and the replacement indicated with my finger. Once the sacrifice has done it's job i can cut back to the next sacrifice and start over. Depending on the situation it will be the new top, or it will be used to pull further. Always have a backup for your plans... There are several smaller branches in the top that are on good locations to make the new top in the future, but that is one of the last things to do.
ulmus minor 2017 preparing apex.JPG
As i said, this tree is slow. The trunk has gained some power and it is more ramified, but the game is just getting started. We have produced better starting material, but it is still a looong time project. This is not the type of tree you find in a bonsai shop often. It must have it's reasons.
At the end it seams possible to reduce leafsize since there is a lot of variation in this tree.
ulmus minor leaf size.JPG

Reaction score
Tree did it's normal thing this year. Making leaves and being happy. Not the super vigorous growth i expect from an elm. Next spring i'll repot in a more airy mix and see if i can do some bodybuilding on this one. I hope to remember making photos in the near future. Thanks for asking.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tree did it's normal thing this year. Making leaves and being happy. Not the super vigorous growth i expect from an elm. Next spring i'll repot in a more airy mix and see if i can do some bodybuilding on this one. I hope to remember making photos in the near future. Thanks for asking.

Why not plant it in the ground for one or two years?
i was kind of suprised reading its a slowpoke i got a couple wich could be pruned each week if i like to :eek:

Reaction score
It has a reasonable good base and trowing it in the ground might not be the best choice. But it is or in the ground or in a big box. The problem with ground growing is that i can't follow it up on a workshop. I have the whole winter to think.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah plenty of time !
A bigger pot/box might do the trick too
Other option might be to
Take it to class when leaves dropped make a plan so you know what to do then in the ground i think it will go explode in growth if i compare mine in the ground and in a pot :p

Reaction score
This one has been in the ground for a year after a weak summer a lot of years ago. Not with big results.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
This one has been in the ground for a year after a weak summer a lot of years ago. Not with big results.
One year in the ground may not produce great results - it takes time. The old saying is in the first year it sleeps, in the second year it creeps, in the third year it leaps.

Reaction score
Ulmus minor with major branches
IMG_0093.JPG
Some stretch marks on this lady's bottom.
IMG_0095.JPG
The growing out does something, but...

Top Bottom