ulmus minor broom project

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ulmus minor is a common species around here and every year i pull out plenty of seedlings.
3 or 4 years ago i decided to keep one and grow it in my growbed.

the buds on this one started to show life so i decided to dig this one up and plant it in a training pot to get this broom project going.
i know people using hoseclamps to reduce swelling but i could not find one this size and also instead of a V cut i just sawed it off flat.
for now ill wait till it start Budding
the picture of the tree is were i collected the seeds from.
20220305_141916.jpg20220305_141925.jpg20220305_144051.jpg20220304_173945.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s gonna make a big fat broom! I’m guessing you.ready trimmed the crossing roots before potting.

Good Luck with this! I’ll be looking forward to the updates.

cheers
DSD sends

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s gonna make a big fat broom! I’m guessing you.ready trimmed the crossing roots before potting.

Good Luck with this! I’ll be looking forward to the updates.

cheers
DSD sends

yes i cut off the crossing fat roots also some were to thick so i cut them off at the base.
first goal will be to get the primary branches in place.
in the worst case i can ground layer to improve the nebari in the future but first see what will happen.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice material, I book in order to follow the updates ;)

As far as I konw, Ulmus minor's seeds don't use to be very fertile. Are you sure that it is a U. minor? have you any photos of a mature tree, or at least of a tree with some branches?
Minors buds tend to be very visibles, pumilas's bud are quite small, almost impercitibles till the opening. Ulmus pumila is widely used because its resistance to the graphyosis and is very easy to reproduce from seed, it is one of the most stended elm in Europe, over all in the populated areas.

sin_tz10.jpg

I wish good luck any way with your elm.

Cheers

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice material, I book in order to follow the updates ;)

As far as I konw, Ulmus minor's seeds don't use to be very fertile. Are you sure that it is a U. minor? have you any photos of a mature tree, or at least of a tree with some branches?
Minors buds tend to be very visibles, pumilas's bud are quite small, almost impercitibles till the opening. Ulmus pumila is widely used because its resistance to the graphyosis and is very easy to reproduce from seed, it is one of the most stended elm in Europe, over all in the populated areas.

View attachment 423123

I wish good luck any way with your elm.

Cheers
Hmm then i will have to take a close look but the leaves of the left one look like the ones my tree has.
I have some other two year old seedlings with branches on i can take a picture when im working in my garden in a bit goal is to plant those seedlings into the ground anyway :)

Top Bottom