Ulmus Parvifolia ‘corticosa’

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Picked this tree up August 2020 from Evergreen gardenworks as a bday present to….myself. I also purchased a seijen and a Yatsubusa. My aggressive repot killed the seijen, but the Yatsubusa and this Corricosa are in great health and progressing right along.

In spring 2021 The Yatsubusa I cut far lower and far more drastic to create a much shorter compact tree. But this corticosa I decided to leave tall and will leave it that way for its life in my hands. I saw similarities in the trunk movement to the copper beach that @MACH5 owns. I see mine long term having similar proportions but with the trademark corky bark. I nice contrast of feminine and masculine characteristics.

First repot I went hard and pinned to a board to establish the nebari. I kept the pot small to make sure the proportions of roots to substrate were in line. I left it in that pot for 2 years with the first year producing decent growth and last year going much better. At repot this year the surface roots had developed nicely and about filled the pot.
Fall 2020
IMG_7075.jpeg
Spring 2021
IMG_5858.jpeg

This year I again pinned it to a board but over potted just slightly. So far the tree has produced excellent very healthy growth and at the base has begun to develop what looks like the early stages of the barley texture.
Spring 2023 at repot
IMG_5701.jpegIMG_5702.jpegIMG_5716.jpeg

Today
IMG_5852.jpeg

It’s going to take some time to produce the trunk thickness and bark that I want but I’m committed to this as a 10-20 year project. And more.

The inspiration. This tree only with a textured bark.

IMG_5859.jpeg
Tree by @MACH5

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is going to be a good one, Danny! Looking forward to updates.

Top Bottom