Ulmus Parvifolia 'Hokkaido' lighting

natenewton

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the art of bonsai. I've watched for many years but this is my first time at the art. I come from many creative sides. I have a 45 gallon saltwater tank that is occupied by my pair of 8.5 year old ocellaris clownfish. It was a reef tank but was downgraded after multiple moves. My saltwater tank is monitored by a controller that turns the lights off and on, and monitor temperature to turn the lights off when the tank is too hot. I also receive alerts for anything I've requested for like when the power goes out and the temperature is high.
I have many years experience with lighting. A little with LEDs from when it became popular, but mostly T5's. Does anyone here keep Ulmus Parvifolia 'Hokkaido' indoors and under artificial lights?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nother Newb from Joliet!

You know @iOne ?

Welcome to Crazy!

I killed one leaving it out in winter...
Thats all I know!

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone here keep Ulmus Parvifolia 'Hokkaido' indoors and under artificial lights?
Not Hokkaido, but plain species, corticosa and Catlin. And not under artificial lights but in a cold light room to enable them go dormant.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm blanking the name, but there is a bonsai artist in Michigan who does several cultivars of Chinese elm, in his basement, in Michigan, under T12 fluorescents 365 days a year. 'Hokkaido' should do well under lights. You have all the ''under lights'' knowledge needed to build a really nice under lights only collection of bonsai. You understand the intensity of light needed to mimic full sun. You should have no problem.

''Hokkaido'' is an unusual genetic mutant, and is quite brittle, fragile, and not a robust grower. Often outdoors it fails because of getting bumped by cats, racoons, squirrels and other varmints, it is not as cold hardy as the normal form of Chinese elm, and otherwise is a ''delicate'' tree. It will likely do better in the relative calm of an indoor light garden.

One tip, a fan or two, in your growing area, enough air movement that thin grassy leaves will wave gently in the breeze will significantly help the health of your indoor trees. I leave my fans on 24 hours a day, all year round. The fans don't have to be fancy, a cheap 10 inch diameter fan from a box store is all one needs for a 48 x 48 inch growing area. Just need to keep air moving. Helps get air to the roots, keeps spider mites and thrips down, to some degree. Helps keep leaf temperatures down, especially as they get close to lamps. The list of benefits is many. A fan will also help plants in a windowsill. Air movement is important indoors.

natenewton

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm blanking the name, but there is a bonsai artist in Michigan who does several cultivars of Chinese elm, in his basement, in Michigan, under T12 fluorescents 365 days a year. 'Hokkaido' should do well under lights. You have all the ''under lights'' knowledge needed to build a really nice under lights only collection of bonsai. You understand the intensity of light needed to mimic full sun. You should have no problem.

''Hokkaido'' is an unusual genetic mutant, and is quite brittle, fragile, and not a robust grower. Often outdoors it fails because of getting bumped by cats, racoons, squirrels and other varmints, it is not as cold hardy as the normal form of Chinese elm, and otherwise is a ''delicate'' tree. It will likely do better in the relative calm of an indoor light garden.

One tip, a fan or two, in your growing area, enough air movement that thin grassy leaves will wave gently in the breeze will significantly help the health of your indoor trees. I leave my fans on 24 hours a day, all year round. The fans don't have to be fancy, a cheap 10 inch diameter fan from a box store is all one needs for a 48 x 48 inch growing area. Just need to keep air moving. Helps get air to the roots, keeps spider mites and thrips down, to some degree. Helps keep leaf temperatures down, especially as they get close to lamps. The list of benefits is many. A fan will also help plants in a windowsill. Air movement is important indoors.
Thank you for all the information. It would be interesting to find out who it is. I'm native to Michigan.

Top Bottom