Ulmus parvifolia 'Seiju'

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
@Maloghurst and @coh I have to go and get a few hours sleep. I work nights. I am very interested in what you both (and others) have to say. Please don't take this as lack of interest, but I have to work tonight. Thank you both

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Maloghurst and @coh I have to go and get a few hours sleep. I work nights. I am very interested in what you both (and others) have to say. Please don't take this as lack of interest, but I have to work tonight. Thank you both
No prob, here is the idea I was playing around with (surprised I saved it actually). Using the other side as the front.

seiju.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had my eye on that one too :( I think what held me back is that I wasn’t sure it could winter outdoors around my zone unassisted. I think a great tree.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Interesting to see so many good examples of this species that i thought no one cultivated.

I repotted the one I was given for free. There was actually very little soil, not so many roots, the tree must have been watered, but neglected, and half the soil must have been washed out :

ulmus.p.seiju-02_190316aa.jpg

I used a mix with mainly Akadama, a little pozzolane and composted pine bark, and added a spoonful of slow-release fertilizer :

ulmus.p.seiju-02_190316ab.jpg

I covered the roots with the same mix, added about 1 cm of 5-7 mm pozzolane, then "wired" it. If it develops well, I might repot it in the summer in a bigger pot, the idea is to let it grow. If it thrives, I will also reduce the top :

ulmus.p.seiju-02_190316ac.jpg

Still so much to do, but "Auch Zwerge haben klein angefangen"... :D

Last edited:

shakotan710

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is my Seiju, I've had it for about two years and I made the first cuts on it this past winter. It was purchased from the Muranaka nursery in Nipomo, CA. It was propagated from a root cutting about 5 years prior to my ownership.

2017-right after purchase
fullsizeoutput_4d.jpeg

Winter 2017
IMG_2090.JPG

Bark Detail
IMG_2113.JPG
After pruning and repotting- Jan 2019
7FDE672F-45D4-472E-B287-E21A4C76036B.JPG

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
I had my eye on that one too :( I think what held me back is that I wasn’t sure it could winter outdoors around my zone unassisted. I think a great tree.
I'm sure it could winter in your zone with minimal protection. So did you have any design ideas in mind if you had purchased it? I'm open to suggestions...just don't want to get into drastic pruning where it will take years to recover and morph into its new form.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
I'm sure it could winter in your zone with minimal protection. So did you have any design ideas in mind if you had purchased it? I'm open to suggestions...just don't want to get into drastic pruning where it will take years to recover and morph into its new form.
I like what @coh posted as a design idea...I believe all he did was switch the front essentially. What the other fellow posted was not acceptable to me because it was too drastic...taking years to rebound. The sketch looked good as a finished product...just not into that much time to see results. Not on a tree that I believe I can see acceptable results using less drastic methods. Thanks.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seiju are hardy to zone 5. Put it in the landscape to grow it up, if that's what you want.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I mean it looks like a tree already. If I had bought it, it would be a struggle on whether to cut back the first two branches on the right from that last vert. They are just a little too thick and straight. But real trees almost never have perfect branches, so there is an argument for leaving them, but I think cut back a fair amount.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
I mean it looks like a tree already. If I had bought it, it would be a struggle on whether to cut back the first two branches on the right from that last vert. They are just a little too thick and straight. But real trees almost never have perfect branches, so there is an argument for leaving them, but I think cut back a fair amount.
Yeah...I mean this was never going to be a tree that fits into a classic Japanese style. I knew that when I bought it. But that's part of the beauty. I enjoy the "naturalistic style" in addition to the "rules based" formal bonsai.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lots of choices when you chop.

Attachments

• 20190413_084757.jpg
    20190413_084757.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 65

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
Yes indeed. Looks the the Skys the limit for that one. :)

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is my Seiju, I've had it for about two years and I made the first cuts on it this past winter. It was purchased from the Muranaka nursery in Nipomo, CA. It was propagated from a root cutting about 5 years prior to my ownership.

2017-right after purchase
View attachment 233546

Winter 2017
View attachment 233549

Bark Detail
View attachment 233550
After pruning and repotting- Jan 2019
View attachment 233553
Man I just love how this shows in the bottom photo, great graceful movement of the trunk curving up to the right and carried on by the branches. Really nice little tree.

Top Bottom