Ulmus Pole to Dos.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Starting a thread on this since I'm accessing old pics right now.

This pic was from 05/2012.

IMAG1733.jpg

Gotta post new ones from the phone.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing you will learn is to keep the bottom branches in check while you grow out a new leader. They will get too fat if you're not careful.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks much better with the lower chop.

What is the reason for the paper in the pond basket? I'm guessing that it is there to prevent the soil from spilling out however I would think that the roots will not air prune with a barrier in place.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

What is the reason for the paper in the pond basket? I'm guessing that it is there to prevent the soil from spilling out however I would think that the roots will not air prune with a barrier in place.

I chickened out of the straight basket cuz my schedule was undetermined. Didn't want to make more firewood!

Thanks

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Found these today on another elm.
Odd thing is, this one JUST budded out.

Figured they'd go through.
20150528_060617.jpg

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One thing you will learn is to keep the bottom branches in check while you grow out a new leader. They will get too fat if you're not careful.
How do you keep them in check? I have a birchlike tree and the lower branches need to get fatter, but the shoots are fast growing and the internode-lenght on the one i want to prune is too long so i don't have a good point to prune back to.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you keep them in check? I have a birchlike tree and the lower branches need to get fatter, but the shoots are fast growing and the internode-lenght on the one i want to prune is too long so i don't have a good point to prune back to.
I'm not too familiar with your type of tree so I really can't help dude. Birchlike? That could be just about anyrhing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut down 4th.
20150706_184715.jpg

Tryin to get some buds lower. Then it'll be growing for a couple in the basket. The wound ain't healing any better with the paste.

If I can let it go and it heals well the left trunk will go. The best front is with the right trunk leaning dead forward at you, so I'm kind of working off that.
20150706_185953.jpg

I cut the bottom flat in Spring and kept these roots, not too bad. Couple big ones in a straight line look kinda poo but I'll try to tame them on repot. Hopefully not for a couple years.

1. 20150706_185928.jpg
Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get rid of the paste. Elms don't need no stinkin' paste. They heal fine on their own. Also if you don't get the buds you want this year, after a good whacking in the spring they will show themselves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice...keep 'em covered...for now!

Encapsulated, I can't show pics....

But I have kept these covered and the base is doing pretty well.

Minus one root that got quite large.

Likely do to the paper around the basket rotting, causing soil to fall out, and give me holey spots.

Should have repotted it!

Anyway....

Both trunks have some nasty RT due to shitty cuts.

I'm Probly gonna cut both trunk down to stubs next year and hope for the best.

When I talk shit to Sifu about growing out deez in Colanders....It is this tree that the experiment is working on.

Bitch ass time capsule!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aren't elms great?

Yes!

You know I was thinking the other day...
I only have this one...a cutting from it, an airlayer from a friends house, a dug one from friends work, 3 in a washer, and my Ulmus Favoritus left...6!
I used to have about 20!

@Brian Van Fleet I done good at stack ranking, yes!? Thanks!

Sorce

Top Bottom