Ulmus Pole to Dos.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leaf reduction?

Hopefully?

(Same pic from last page cuz I don't like talking about a tree with no pic)
20210514_090130.jpg

The lowest left branch has some catching up to do still, before starting secondaries, so everything on the top will be completely replaced ish a couple few times before it gets tertiary branches.

The whole second segment is a bit too thin still too, so that's a fat x on the timeline.

All that then rebuilding further ramification should drop the leaf size some. I'm not certain they will get small enough to keep this small of a tree very believable in leaf.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hopefully?

(Same pic from last page cuz I don't like talking about a tree with no pic)
View attachment 374744

The lowest left branch has some catching up to do still, before starting secondaries, so everything on the top will be completely replaced ish a couple few times before it gets tertiary branches.

The whole second segment is a bit too thin still too, so that's a fat x on the timeline.

All that then rebuilding further ramification should drop the leaf size some. I'm not certain they will get small enough to keep this small of a tree very believable in leaf.

Sorce
You know how I hate to be critical, but you're trimming to make it look good, but you should be letting the lower branches have (keep) as many leaves as possible until they fatten up to your standards. That means a few feet long while the top keeps getting headed back. It should always look funny until it gets to the finishing stages. Remember Peter Tea's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 which starts with #1 are you satisfied with the trunk thickness? If not then let it all grow. #2 are you satisfied with the trunk taper? If not then let the lower branches grow, -in proportion. #3 are you satisfied with the branch thickness? If not then let them grow. #4, & 5 are the obvious extensions of that line of thinking. You should know before you touch a tree whether or not you will be happy with the tree after you finish trimming it and not trim it to look good until all the parts are grown enough for that finishing touch.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but you're trimming to make it look good,

That looks good?🤣

I'm super anti trimming to make it look good!

I cut the Lowest Left branch to have a smaller hole to heal on it's way and to keep more and certain active buds to cut back to.

You can't really see it in the pictures but it does contain the longest extension branch on the tree.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couple weeks later. (Yesterday) Them nexts' are moving so large leaves got pulled.

20210527_142519.jpg
20210527_142529.jpg

Sorce

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Curious to see how this tree is doing! You said at least three years until showtime... we're pretty close!

Top Bottom