Ulmus Pumila Carnivorous

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi There my friends, sorry it took so long!!!
Here's my 2023 update, soon I hope to build a custom pot for him. The pot its currently in is just temporary for training.

Before Hair Cut
View attachment 498323

After Hair Cut
View attachment 498322 View attachment 498324
Really great tree. If you're after a pot, what about a pot with bats?

Bats are considered good luck symbols in Japan and China. They can be found on bonsai pots as a motif.

Attachments

• batpot.jpg
    batpot.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 10

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s a great idea!, thanks for sharing the pics of these pots, I can totally see it in a bat pot now. I think it would definitely be fitting for this tree.
Thank you @rockm.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s a great idea!, thanks for sharing the pics of these pots, I can totally see it in a bat pot now. I think it would definitely be fitting for this tree.
Thank you @rockm.
Sure! I think the yellow glazed pot in the first link is still up for sale. Don't know if it would fit size wise, though. You might need a bigger one.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First time seeing this amazing tree! Every day you smile at a tree and one day it smiles back... Well, that ain't no smile! None the less it's actually one of the most impressionable trees I've ever seen! One thing I will say is that the heavy filling in of ramification to the top is starting to distract from the main feature.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First time seeing this amazing tree! Every day you smile at a tree and one day it smiles back... Well, that ain't no smile! None the less it's actually one of the most impressionable trees I've ever seen! One thing I will say is that the heavy filling in of ramification to the top is starting to distract from the main feature.
It’s interesting how the photos do make it look distracting and a bit too much, but in person not so. I think because it is a domed shaped canopy it makes the photos look different an optical illusion of sorts. It actually drives me nuts trying to get a picture of it with that happening.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not to take away RockM suggestions on pot but Phillipe Torcatis I’ve seen make cool pots with skulls carved on the sides

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not to take away RockM suggestions on pot but Phillipe Torcatis I’ve seen make cool pots with skulls carved on the sides
I have seen quite a few of his pots that would look great with this tree, only issue is the size he makes them too small for what I would need. He most likely makes them smaller for shipping perhaps I believe he lives in France?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have seen quite a few of his pots that would look great with this tree, only issue is the size he makes them too small for what I would need. He most likely makes them smaller for shipping perhaps I believe he lives in France?
I think he would make a commission idk worth checking out .. but again up to you

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, That's a little "on the nose" for this tree IMO. Also an elaborate skull pot (Thos Holvila also does them) would distract from the excellent work on the tree. Just my opinion. Tree speaks for itself. Bats in the background reinforce without going over the top...just sayin.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How is this monster doing? Did you prep him for Halloween?
This year I actually let many of my trees grow wild to gain vigor this tree was one of those. I am hoping to make a custom pot for this tree this winter and hopefully get it repotted next spring.

Top Bottom