Ulmus Pumila Carnivorous

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
any summer 2019 pics of old woodface?
I’ll take one this afternoon, I let the branch arms grow somewhat freely all summer and they are quite bushy. Been trying to thicken them up a bit and it’s working. I’ve been pondering the plan for them once they are to the size and my liking, if they will be stripped of bark and preserved as dead wood? I did try hedge pruning the top a couple of times this summer and I am liking the results it’s causing. This winter when it’s naked I’ll clean up the unwanted material.
Thanks for asking, I’ll get those pics to share.

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I love this tree. It reminds me of the apple trees from The Wizard of Oz.

Palmer67

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here’s a bushy summer pic. Did some work on the roots this spring and nebari work. Also was put into a training pot, it was initially placed in a nursery pot when collected.
View attachment 259020
Halloween is around the corner and this tree is perfect. You should place him on a pedestal near your front door for the candy grubbers. Awesome creativity and thanks for sharing!

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just don't want to rip off your idea. :) I have a myrtle oak that may work for it too.
I think you should go for it, we borrow ideas from one another all the time. Then make our version of that idea. I would enjoy seeing another ones version and progress. Eventually I want to start another.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
I think you should go for it, we borrow ideas from one another all the time. Then make our version of that idea. I would enjoy seeing another ones version and progress. Eventually I want to start another.
my carving went a different direction on the Elm, but maybe the Myrtle Oak. I do kinda like the idea of root over truck or tank or something.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here’s a new pic for 2020, starting to bud and leaf up. Did some pruning back to two buds and a little wiring on a few branches. Next spring I plan on putting it into a custom crete pot that I’m going to make.
90A01EE3-BC25-4FF7-9961-478684508543.jpeg
8BA10701-3B81-4434-88AB-B3F5A18249AF.jpeg

Top Bottom