Ulmus-t DIDN'T collect this one.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Definitely has potential. Those 90° turns are pretty harsh but you can perhaps soften them with some bending or it's possible that as it develops they will soften. The planting angle will need to be adjusted at some point, of course, by tilting it somewhat to the left. That horizontal mid section is parallel with the pot.

Keep us updated with the development! 👍🏼

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Awesome elm score, this one’s going to be a cool tree!
Thank you!

I think(hope) so, too!

It, obviously kept getting hit by the "clearers"... until that one branch made it far enough back to avoid being struck, and started "tree-ing" ovah dere!

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know next to nothing about tree ID's, but this almost looks like hornbeam leaves. Leaves look a lot like my American hornbeam.

Either way, nice tree and awesome movement!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know next to nothing about tree ID's, but this almost looks like hornbeam leaves. Leaves look a lot like my American hornbeam.

I think you may be correct on the ID, good call @Apex37 The new growth and bark on the upper branches looks a lot like hornbeam now that you mention it. This little one has had a hard life lol

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Thank you!!

I'll post some more pictures of leaves, tomorrow.

We can have another look, because I'm not entirely certain, either.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Elm, probably American Elm.
This is what I was thinking also.. which is good.. these can be SubZero Ice-Blocks, and wake up fine...

I DO wish it was a "better" endemic Elm Species, though..
😂😂
It's ok, realistically. I know AE well.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put it in a forest planting and build a trail past it :)

It could fit in very well with an old decaying structure nearby as well. A dead settlement marking the way west!

Run with the trail marker theme!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

It could fit in very well with an old decaying structure nearby as well. A dead settlement marking the way west!

I plan on doing a white oak like this. There’s a lot of these around here, massive, thick old ones. If you pay attention to where they point some point to springs, some point to hill tops, some point to rhyolite outcrops. Very cool trees.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

This idea is fantastic! Will most DEFINITELY plan out a trailhead idea, using ceramics, also. Thank you for tumbling some new snowballs in new directions!

But, I believe for THIS tree.. I will attempt to somewhat eliminate the harshest points of these angles.

As I prance around it (like an idiot) during my daily activities, the realization is dawning, as horribly embarrassing as it is, this MAY be the "best" tree I've collected, so far.

So I want it to be straight forward... very.. "Bonsai"... instead of even PEN-zai.. let alone pen-JING. ;)

Although.. I might like a single implement.. in a POT.. as apposed to a dish/tray/slab. This, however, dashes the trailhead plan for THIS tree.

It IS, really, a dynamite idea.... and an area, in general, that my family and I are quite familiar with.

So NOW... new ideas and inspiration will pour in, daily.

🤓

Last edited:
Top Bottom