Ulmus with opposite leaves?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This volunteer sprang up in my yard. I also got plenty of normal alternate leafed ulmus volunteers (likely Americana, rubrum, or hybrids)
But this was the only opposite leaf pattern.
CAAB8483-F599-4C59-9276-56E81C821F07.jpeg

Attachments

• DF465460-2637-4DAE-BA25-6F5122AD2266.jpeg
    DF465460-2637-4DAE-BA25-6F5122AD2266.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 8

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve even seen juvenile Parvifolia’s do that too.
Are you saying that you've seen a small % of chinese elm that have a genetic mutation that causes opposite leaves?
Or that you've seen some that exhibit opposite leaves during their first few years and then they switch to alternate leaves at some point?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you saying that you've seen a small % of chinese elm that have a genetic mutation that causes opposite leaves?
Or that you've seen some that exhibit opposite leaves during their first few years and then they switch to alternate leaves at some point?
Just in their first grow season after germinatig

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just in their first grow season after germinatig
Yup. First year elm leaves of many species are opposite, which throws off lots of people trying to id saplings. The branches that emerge in spring are alternate.

A similar but more dramatic thing happens in many Eucalyptus species. The juvenile foliage is round and opposite and very different from the willow-like mature foliage.

A hard prune (e.g. by the overzealous electric company) induces juvenile foliage again, which leads many people to wonder what the heck happened to their tree.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, this probably answers why I have what seems to be an opposite-leaved volunteer American elm seedling growing in one of my pots. Thanks!

Top Bottom