Umbrella tree bonsai

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm super new to bonsai and was hoping to get a little advice.
I've read a little and watched some videos here and there but was wondering if anyone had any specific suggestions about what to do in this instance.

I have an umbrella tree that I've grown for quite some time as an indoor plant. Along came my son and the indoors plants got somewhat neglected but I've put this outside a year or so ago and it's taken off again. I've seen it's possible to make these into bonsai and think that the trunk thickness and the fact there is there would make a nice bonsai.

I've tried to take a photo of the base and then one just showing how big it currently is, I'd say around 1.5m high.

I'm comfortable enough potting it, wiring it down etc, I'm looking for suggestions on pot size, where to cut it back etc. It's just autumn now in Australia so hoping it's a good time to do it (in isolation).

Thanks so much in advance

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Heya, It looks like your plant has some sort of nutrient deficiency judging from the yellowing leaves.
This could just be because it's been in the same pot for a while and is severely root bound.
Or just needs some nitrogen. Doesn't look like micronutrient issue to me but could be wrong.
I'd put it in a bigger pot with some good soil, let it establish for a while then give it some fertilizer.
Wait until you see good health before cutting back.
Also remember that this plant doesn't like temperatures much colder that 40F. Not sure what your winter weather looks like where you are. I bring mine indoors when temps start hitting 40F over night.
You can also root the cuttings to make more plants when the time comes :)
Hope this helps some.

Reaction score
Thanks so much, that makes sense. I think also because the plant wasn't watered for awhile and yes, probably root bound and missing some soil!
Where do you recommend cutting it back to when I eventually do? Should I leave 6", 10" etc? Any recommendations on pot size also?

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, I think this would make a good clump style planting.
Not having seen it in person and looking at your picture of the trunks...
Using that right trunk as reference I'd cut back to above that shoot within 2 or 3 nodes and follow suit on the other trunks. Trust your own eye in this.
Have the intent to train branches extending away from center.
After it has gained health then you cut the trunks back, remove all of the leaves by cutting to mid petiole, remove growing tips and it should back bud on the main trunk.
I wouldn't do this until at least beginning of next summer though if not a little later.
And you're going to want to just let it grow for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, upsize the pot a couple inches in diameter.
If you use a commercial potting soil, mix in like 40% coarse sand.
Schefflera like moist soil but not soggy.
Water when the top 1/2 inch of the soil is dry.

If you haven't already, search on youtube for Nigel Saunders. He has a series of videos on a nice clump style schefflera.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Birdo was always my number one pick for Mario Golf.
Then DK, Then Yoshi, then Waluigi.

Sorce

Top Bottom