Umbrella Tree Excessively Dropping Leaves

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Have had my umbrella tree for 3-4 years, had been in this same pot for the last 2 years of that. About 3 months ago noticed some leaf dropping but wasn’t overly concerned.

It continued to drop leaves and noticed a lot of the branches becoming dead/ black. I removed it from the pot to check roots and they looked fine, repotted with new soil back into the pot. Been about a month and leaves continue to drop with no signs of new leaves.

Any advice? While branches are dying and turning black, the leaves aren’t which I think is an indication that it’s not root rot?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• A3014ED6-7268-4CF7-B558-019DF54B8861.jpeg
    A3014ED6-7268-4CF7-B558-019DF54B8861.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 7DBB2618-C437-4C30-8D68-7B1C9D201547.jpeg
    7DBB2618-C437-4C30-8D68-7B1C9D201547.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 55

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I guess it likes indoors? They don't like cold! No location in your profile. Location has a big bearing on many growing problems and on when to do remedial work.

When was the last time it was repotted? Root bound condition is likely to cause leaf drop and dead branches. Also much more likely to get root rot when root bound and eventually becomes really difficult to water the roots properly when there's no spaces left for water to penetrate.
How much fertilizer has it had? Starvation can also cause same symptoms.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi @BonsaiJoe183 and welcome to the forum! Your umbrella tree is a true tropical that grows well in Hawaii :) Heat, humidity and sun are the keys to its happiness. Most of the time we move trees indoors, they struggle to adapt to what are usually mild, dry, low light conditions. Layer on top of that typical challenges with artificial watering, substrate, fertilization, and a containerized environment, it is a wonder that any survive at all :)

As @Shibui pointed out, a little more information will be helpful in trying to determine possible causes and solutions.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some branches have new growth as well. I'd work your way back. Did you change watering? Did you move where it sits? Trees aren't made to grow inside forever, perhaps it's just giving up the ghost.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I live in the Midwest US and have been growing them for about a decade. They are a very hearty plant and will regrow if taken back to stumps. Leaf drop for me happens regularly when I bring them in for the winter. Usually once night time temps start to fall below 50F. Once inside, they have to acclimate to the lower light levels, different humidity and dry forced air heating. I have them on humidity trays and don’t fret as they adjust to their new environment for the winter months. As soon as the spring hits and low temps are over 50F they go outside in full sun and soak it up. I repot every year or two as the roots are thick and take up a lot of space in the pot. This can make adequate watering a challenge. If you think ALL of the roots are not getting water, which may be a problem you’re experiencing, I let the pot soak and absorb water from the bottom once a week until I can repot and trim back the roots. Usually during the active growing season, July for me.

Attachments

• 87408A05-0308-42FB-B752-4D1E761138F6.jpeg
    87408A05-0308-42FB-B752-4D1E761138F6.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 24

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had mine at least 10 years and it continues to thrive. A couple of thoughts. As a tropical, it will not survive cold weather. Bring it inside when nights get below 50 f. I would also get it in a shallower pot with more open substrate. Once recovered, l would cut it way back to reduce leggyness.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks everyone for your help here- I updated my profile with some information for future posts. I'm just outside of Boston, MA (zone 6A). Since I've had this tree (~3 years) it has always been indoors (maybe that is part of the issue).

We did recently move to a new house, and I put the bonsai in the sunniest indoor spot I could find. Also realizing I've probably neglected fertilizing it so will start that up again today.

I did notice the new growth too, which is obviously a good sign, but its negated by the fact that a lot of the branches are turning black and crumbly. Don't think its root bound as I just provided it additional space and repotted.

Thanks again

Top Bottom