BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Got ya.
I’d like to make a Shohin out of it.

How big do you think it ought to be?

I acquired it in May last year. It had pretty much grown all it was going to grow by then.

Got it. I don't mean to suggest its a poor tree. I love the base. I assume your main leader is a sacrifice.

Perhaps it'd be more interesting if it was grown out made a nice chuhin?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How exciting,Judy.Blooms in the winter.You have snow?
no crazy warm here, in the 50's for the next couple of days then back to 20's and 30's! Can't wait, pulled it into the house tonight can see the white tips of the blossoms waiting to spring free.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got ya.

Got it. I don't mean to suggest its a poor tree. I love the base. I assume your main leader is a sacrifice.

Perhaps it'd be more interesting if it was grown out made a nice chuhin?
It’s very early in it’s journey as a bonsai.

I’m just appreciating the flowers for what they are.

Most Ume don’t really make all that good bonsai. The leaves curl, they get attacked by every insect and fungus, they grow straight, long shoots, and if you want them to make flowers, you can’t pinch them back. They’re brittle to wire.

All in all, they’re awful for bonsai!

Except...

Those flowers! In the dead of winter!!! When nothing else is alive, those flowers arrive!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My compliments ...you not only have the technical skills, but a great artistic sensibility as well. That tree is a real achievement.
To be honest about this tree, the trunk was as is when I bought it, like most of my trees, the branching is my contribution to the design. Thank you, I agree it's a very different and appealing image. This morning a few are open.. I will compose a better picture when more are open, the humidifiers were running and put some mist on the background.
IMG_2313.jpgIMG_2314.jpgIMG_2317.jpg

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
These blooms smell great. I thought you guys were exaggerating but they are really nice. This is my first ume and I have some reading to do. Regarding chops, do they backbud well? As you can see from my photo a couple posts up, several branches need.to be cut back to an inch or two from the trunk. So these trees respond well to that or do I need to look at grafting or something similar? I'll read up on root work, not sure how much I can remove at once. Pic to keep it going. Not too many blooms and they're giving their show and then falling off pretty quickly.

IMG_20200116_114000.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These blooms smell great. I thought you guys were exaggerating but they are really nice. This is my first ume and I have some reading to do. Regarding chops, do they backbud well? As you can see from my photo a couple posts up, several branches need.to be cut back to an inch or two from the trunk. So these trees respond well to that or do I need to look at grafting or something similar? I'll read up on root work, not sure how much I can remove at once. Pic to keep it going. Not too many blooms and they're giving their show and then falling off pretty quickly.

View attachment 279132
There’s a pretty specific protocol to follow with Ume to create ramification and make the bloom.

In short:

Ume only bloom on new wood. And they won’t bloom if you pinch them. You have to let the shoots extend. And, they only bloom if you let a leaf stay on the branch.

They also tend to grow straight up vertically.

The procedure is to let them grow out to about 10 inches long, then wire with aluminum while the shoots are still somewhat soft, being careful not to damage any leaves.

Early to mid May, cut the shoot so it’s only about 1/2 as long. Pull off the first two leaves, closest to the trunk. Keep all remaining leaves.

The point of this is you should get flowers the following winter where you left leaves, but you won’t get flowers where you pulled off the leaves. You should get vegetative buds instead. (Ume sometimes won’t produce vegetative buds where there flowers.).

After a couple weeks, remove the wire.

In the fall, you can prune back, but remember you’re also removing potential flowers if you do so.

Winter: enjoy the flowers.

After blooming: cut back to we’re the flowers began. That is, cut back to keep only the nodes where you pulled off the leaves. Wherever it flowered, cut that off. You should get a new shoot at each of the vegetative buds, plus any other back buds the tree decides to do.

Following this protocol gets you flowers and ramification over time.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That is some golden information. I'm going to save it somewhere. Thank you very much.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There’s a pretty specific protocol to follow with Ume to create ramification and make the bloom.

In short:

Ume only bloom on new wood. And they won’t bloom if you pinch them. You have to let the shoots extend. And, they only bloom if you let a leaf stay on the branch.

They also tend to grow straight up vertically.

The procedure is to let them grow out to about 10 inches long, then wire with aluminum while the shoots are still somewhat soft, being careful not to damage any leaves.

Early to mid May, cut the shoot so it’s only about 1/2 as long. Pull off the first two leaves, closest to the trunk. Keep all remaining leaves.

The point of this is you should get flowers the following winter where you left leaves, but you won’t get flowers where you pulled off the leaves. You should get vegetative buds instead. (Ume sometimes won’t produce vegetative buds where there flowers.).

After a couple weeks, remove the wire.

In the fall, you can prune back, but remember you’re also removing potential flowers if you do so.

Winter: enjoy the flowers.

After blooming: cut back to we’re the flowers began. That is, cut back to keep only the nodes where you pulled off the leaves. Wherever it flowered, cut that off. You should get a new shoot at each of the vegetative buds, plus any other back buds the tree decides to do.

Following this protocol gets you flowers and ramification over time.
That’s going in the ol’ notebook.

I'm in love with Ume now. Need to get me some. One decent one for me, a bunch of babies for the ground And the future.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow that's a late snow for you isn't it? I figured you'd be repotting in a couple weeks... so pretty with snow on the blossom.
About par for the course. This is our first one this year. It’s been very mild. We can get snow into March.

I usually don’t start repotting until late February. The ROR trident I posted was purchased in California, and already started leafing out, so I had to pot it. It’s inside the house as are my olives and a dawn redwood forest I purchased from Bill V at the Winter Silohette show.

I checked the trees I had purchased from him carefully yesterday. I had a Japanese Maple forest, the dawn redwood, and I had won an auction for a ginkgo. The dawn redwood showed some green buds. So, I brought it in. The Japanese Maple’s buds were a brighter red, but were still closed. The ginkgo was still closed up.

Compared to my other trees that had seasoned here, I could tell they were thinking it was spring already, the buds weren’t yet swelling, but they were showing signs of waking up.

Top Bottom