Ume anticipation...

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm jealous. You're a few days ahead of me. I have one I got two years ago just after it had bloomed. That poor tree has been beset by scale, mealybugs, shothole blight, and powdery mildew, and gone through two complete defoliations in the process. Last year it didn't bloom. I was in the greenhouse on Sunday, and lo and behold, flower buds! I'm really excited about it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey,what do you think about this dudes gnarly trunks?......too knobby? @Adair M @Brian Van Fleet

Im not buying or anything
From that angle, it is too knobby. If it has taper from another angle, I might consider it...but I’m not too crazy about super fat Ume.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From that angle, it is too knobby. If it has taper from another angle, I might consider it...but I’m not too crazy about super fat Ume.
I like Ume that appear to have re-grown from stumps.

That particular tree? I think some carving might enhance it.

Of course, the time to buy Ume is after they’ve bloomed! The prices drop dramatically!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brent @evergreengardenworks has some. Not huge, but it will give you time to enjoy the ride!
Cheers

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,what do you think about this dudes gnarly trunks?......too knobby? @Adair M @Brian Van Fleet

Im not buying or anything
So ugly that someone willing to pay that much for it. Only the mother could love type of trees.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So ugly that someone willing to pay that much for it. Only the mother could love type of trees.

Agreed, that price for that branch-less tree is an utter joke, total waste of money.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like Ume that appear to have re-grown from stumps.

That particular tree? I think some carving might enhance it.

Of course, the time to buy Ume is after they’ve bloomed! The prices drop dramatically!

Carving a 15" ume stump? Good luck with that. haha This ume is an over-priced, grotesque little stump.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
‘‘Twas the day before Christmas and out on the bench, the Ume was swelling but not growing an inch. The blossoms are sleeping awaiting the day, when the sun will be shining to come out and play!

View attachment 275586
View attachment 275587

For one thing’s for certain, they’ll smell sweet and not stink, and the blossoms aren’t white, instead they’ll be pink!

Merry Christmas, ya’ll!!!

Have you thought about putting this back in the ground or at least in a colander to let it grow??

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you thought about putting this back in the ground or at least in a colander to let it grow??
I’d like to make a Shohin out of it.

How big do you think it ought to be?

I acquired it in May last year. It had pretty much grown all it was going to grow by then.

Top Bottom