Ume available in the US?

dragunrot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does anyone know where I could get my hands on an Ume in the US? I've checked places like Evergreengardenworks, but seems most people have had trouble getting the stock. Not necessarily looking for the most developed specimens but any sources would help

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I ordered a white one from evergreen gardenworks back in February. If I recall correctly the website claimed that they would be ready for shipment in May? Mine didn't ship until August, I think there was a random act of God this year that damaged a lot of their material unfortunately.

Other than that I've seen a seller sell pink ones on ebay occasionally, there's a thread somewhere on these forums about it: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/impulse-mume-purchase.47816/

And then @Pitoon has been experimenting with propagation methods. In the future I can see him being a main source. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/for-the-love-of-prunus-mume.51086/

Lastly, look into Prunus Americana and Prunus Mexicana. They are the native equivalents and share a lot of qualities with Prunus Mume.

dragunrot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I ordered a white one from evergreen gardenworks back in February. If I recall correctly the website claimed that they would be ready for shipment in May? Mine didn't ship until August, I think there was a random act of God this year that damaged a lot of their material unfortunately.

Other than that I've seen a seller sell pink ones on ebay occasionally, there's a thread somewhere on these forums about it: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/impulse-mume-purchase.47816/

And then @Pitoon has been experimenting with propagation methods. In the future I can see him being a main source. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/for-the-love-of-prunus-mume.51086/

Lastly, look into Prunus Americana and Prunus Mexicana. They are the native equivalents and share a lot of qualities with Prunus Mume.
Thank you for the reply. I have been trying to look into Mexicana and Americana, but the information is sparse at best. I have no problem waiting until sources get more stock, but it is just crazy how popular but rare this plant is!

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you for the reply. I have been trying to look into Mexicana and Americana, but the information is sparse at best. I have no problem waiting until sources get more stock, but it is just crazy how popular but rare this plant is!
It's pretty nifty that something so popular hasn't reached its full potential in the west. Hopefully one day Mume will be as common as Japanese maples and cherries.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yup I had posted a while back about the eBay purchase. But when I asked a while back the seller is no longer on eBay selling them. I sure wish I would have purchased more as he had over 25 for sale and they all went in a day or two. Good luck with finding one as they are not easy to come by. But there are several here that may have some propagation going on soon and you may get lucky. As for a nice one now that’s really hard as I called every single place in the tristate area with no luck. Than I checked eBay for fun and Bam there they were. I wish you all the best as the are hard to come by.
Michael

dragunrot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yup I had posted a while back about the eBay purchase. But when I asked a while back the seller is no longer on eBay selling them. I sure wish I would have purchased more as he had over 25 for sale and they all went in a day or two. Good luck with finding one as they are not easy to come by. But there are several here that may have some propagation going on soon and you may get lucky. As for a nice one now that’s really hard as I called every single place in the tristate area with no luck. Than I checked eBay for fun and Bam there they were. I wish you all the best as the are hard to come by.
Michael
Thank you, I'm sure I'll need all the luck I've got to find something that I really wanna shoot for. I've been checking as many sources as I can without getting dizzy

dragunrot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like there is a market for someone able to propagate mume in the US!
There absolutely is! I'll be keeping my eye out for anyone that pops up with any. If any future Ume sources are reading, I'm looking to buy ;)

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! Seems like they're sold out as of now. I'll be checking them as well
Check daily. When I bought one from them it was out of stock immediately for approximately one day and then was back in stock.

Edit. Its back in stock as of right now 12-14-21 @ 10:30pm central time.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I saw several on Ebay just a few nights ago. I think they were from the same seller you bought from? The page said he had 12. They were about the same size as yours and very reasonably priced.

dragunrot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I saw several on Ebay just a few nights ago. I think they were from the same seller you bought from? The page said he had 12. They were about the same size as yours and very reasonably priced.
Would you happen to have the username of the seller? I've looked up the seller from the other thread and I can't seem to find anything.

dragunrot

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Check daily. When I bought one from them it was out of stock immediately for approximately one day and then was back in stock.

Edit. Its back in stock as of right now 12-14-21 @ 10:30pm central time.
Do you happen to know if they are grafted or not? Did it look like usable material?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Would you happen to have the username of the seller? I've looked up the seller from the other thread and I can't seem to find anything.
From Niwaki nursery also. The same seller as above. He has other trees for sale that are interesting...Pre-bonsai.

Top Bottom