Ume cutting (good or bad)

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
4 is the only choice here. 100 percent no chance. Pretty sure there is no root other then callus.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4 is the only choice here. 100 percent no chance. Pretty sure there is no root other then callus.
Why do you say that? This sole cutting was a group of multiple cuttings that I got from a friend who had an ume..all the other cuttings either died.. This one is still green.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why do you say that? This sole cutting was a group of multiple cuttings that I got from a friend who had an ume..all the other cuttings either died.. This one is still green.
That is because I have done this many times and none took. Some limping along like yours but died after a while.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is because I have done this many times and none took. Some limping along like yours but died after a while.
I know the chinese and Japanese are able to propagating them via cuttings... There must be some tricks..

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is another update on this cutting.. Its mid Feb. The top old leaves all dropped in Dec.. The bottoms are still solid green.

Still no roots?

IMG_20190214_081805.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't quit. People have told me it's impossible to root jbp and I did it on my first try. If someone's doing it you can too. Sometimes it's just a matter of picking up a little trick or just extreme patience

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you asking this or stating this?
If those leaves are new, it’s likely also growing roots. You’ll know by early May, because it will be growing hard or dead.

Those are the old leaves when I first started this thread. There's no new growth from it...just stayed green like this..the top ones died and dropped off..these ones just stayed green..

I'm wondering if there are roots or not..since the smaller pot is planted in the bigger one...I get the itch of pulling it out to see if any roots pushed pass the drain hole of the smaller pot.

J

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get the itch of pulling it out to see if any roots pushed pass the drain hole of the smaller pot.
Don't. If there are no roots, it will die within very short term. If there are, then the cutting my break off and your cutting dies. So.. Patience, grashopper :)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those are the old leaves when I first started this thread. There's no new growth from it...just stayed green like this..the top ones died and dropped off..these ones just stayed green..

I'm wondering if there are roots or not..since the smaller pot is planted in the bigger one...I get the itch of pulling it out to see if any roots pushed pass the drain hole of the smaller pot.

J
New leaves (that don't 'instantly' droop) will tell you that it has roots.
Otherwise, it will just wither (die).

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Careful scratching that itch.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Little good is associated with "scratch":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Looks alive, keep doing what your doing? Looks alive.....

Read the post title like a caveman.....uggg, ume cutting good, ugggg......ume cutting always good!!! Had a grafted whip years ago, killed it after a couple years but grew pretty good. I shoulda' put it in the ground and forgot about it!!!!:(:mad::D:D:D:D:D

Hope your little cuttin' makes it!!:cool:

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it's almost end of April....here's an update...no new growth yet...same two leaves...the tip of them are turning a little bit brown...but otherwise the same...here's a picture....what you all think? I put some azalea flowers for the color lol...

IMG_20190419_200238.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t want to hijack this thread but I have a question that I believe is relevant here.

Is this a new “shoot” sufficient to be sure that roots are growing? It was just a closed bud when I planted the cutting.

59361830-A4AD-49A2-BB90-627B46E1E34A.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t want to hijack this thread but I have a question that I believe is relevant here.

Is this a new “shoot” sufficient to be sure that roots are growing? It was just a closed bud when I planted the cutting.
No.
Often buds will break, push leaves, and then wilt. If you don't see any subsequent wilt, probably so.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So it's almost end of April....here's an update...no new growth yet...same two leaves...the tip of them are turning a little bit brown...but otherwise the same...here's a picture....what you all think? I put some azalea flowers for the color lol...
My Ezo Spruce cuttings didn’t grow for one full year after they were struck. I know they’re different, but point is, they can take their time. You should see those leaf buds swelling soon, if it’s going to make it. I bet it’s ok.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Ezo Spruce cuttings didn’t grow for one full year after they were struck. I know they’re different, but point is, they can take their time. You should see those leaf buds swelling soon, if it’s going to make it. I bet it’s ok.
Okay thanks. well I will wait and see....

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well. I guess it's a negative on the roots...the two green leaves are slowly turning yellow from the stem....I'll wait until the whole thing turns yellow...if the stick is still green...

IMG_20190504_143304.jpg

Top Bottom