UME MUME Ramification instead of flowering?

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok so what is the basic general principle for any attempt at back budding and ramification? I don't need blooms I get plenty I want to shorten up the branches and get some fullness WITHOUT GRAFTING. I had plenty of leaf buds pop close to the trunk so I won't need to graft if I can focus on just ramification. I am hoping maybe 2 seasons of ramification and then a show worthy weeping flowering presentation 3rd season.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was hoping for some photos...Sorry no advice...maybe someone else maybe able to chip in and help. Weeping flowers had me hooked in...Hoping to see some photos of this tree at some point.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Right now, as the buds are opening (so you can tell which ones are viable), prune each branch back to leave only one or two viable buds. Then in early May, prune everything back again to 2-3 nodes. I'll try to load some pix, but I've already done this with mine...last week.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So when the buds are at the stage as shown circled in red, or earlier, I prune back to leave one or two viable buds. Those identified with blue arrows are not viable, so it's best to not cut back until you know what will pop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 65

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A little late, but here is where I'd cut if wasn't trying to grow out the branch.

Instead, this year I'll shorten this year's closest shoot to 1-2 nodes, and develop it to eventually replace the rest of the branch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 49

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm a little past your bud stage. Getting some opening.

I should be ok to cut back to a couple newly opened buds/leaves?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm a little past your bud stage. Getting some opening.

I should be ok to cut back to a couple newly opened buds/leaves?

You can still prune back last year's branches which contain new growing buds, as I showed in those photos, but don't pinch any of the newly-growing shoots yet.

Top Bottom