Unbiased Poll

Where would you prefer to get your bonsai material if you could?

• Yamadori...Collected from the wild

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Landscape material collected from yards

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Field-grown especially for bonsai

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Bonsai nurseries

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Online bonsai sources

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Nursery stock from landscape nurseries

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's see how this would work out in the real world of multiple choices... select as many as you feel appropriate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
None of the above;)

Poopyhead. Seriously, was there another choice you would prefer? I could have added a couple but I wanted to take all the slant out. Probably could have added "raise my own from seed," and "From the flying spaghetti monster.":D

Or, "Please let this subject die, for pity's sake!" That would have gone over well!

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not even sure why the other thread is continuing, not the poll, the thread. The poll well that was a no brainer, to provide a specific response, now everyone is happy;)

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I voted "field grown for bonsai", even though I'm split between that, yamadori, and developing my own stock (which is sort of "field grown for bonsai"). Anyway, I give field grown a slight edge because there is more variety available, even though my best trees are yamadori.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Don't you understand Chris, it's not where it comes from! It's all about the quality and the talent needed to select the stock!;)
I chose yamadori btw...:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would prefer to get my bonsai material from my own back yard, but in real life, that ain't happening. Next to that, I would prefer to get my bonsai material next door, no drive and easy to transport.

That's the real world.

In all seriousness, where I prefer to get my material has nothing to do with where I do, I buy for quality and take it where I can find it.

By your title, I assume you think my recent poll was biased, sorry to hear that....

Will

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Nursery stock ....... just kidding, Yamadori!!!

Jason

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Yamadori definitely, though field grown for bonsai isn't bad either, i just love the different things you find in nature, they're incredible, and there is such a variety, and each of them ahve a different story, and different characters, i love their characters

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I chose them all Chris. I don't really have a preference on where I get my material.

Well I do have a preference but I doubt I can either afford some nice old Japanese trees nor could I get the in to the country legally. Never say never I guess...

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Yamadori oof course but price and difficulty of maintenance make field grown bonsai stock awfully attractive. Anyway , whire I live , yamadori means I did it myself and I'm not sure I'm willing to kill that many trees.

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
I would prefer to get my bonsai material from my own back yard, but in real life, that ain't happening. Next to that, I would prefer to get my bonsai material next door, no drive and easy to transport.

That's the real world.

Will

:eek: :D Great answer!

Reaction score
USDA Zone

That's the real world.

In all seriousness, where I prefer to get my material has nothing to do with where I do, I buy for quality and take it where I can find it.

By your title, I assume you think my recent poll was biased, sorry to hear that....

Will

Will, do you honestly believe that your poll had any other intention than to drive people to the desired answer? Straw man after straw man when we almost all agree that while there is no guarantee of quality with regards to price, and there is no guarantee of crap for $5, there is, however a correlation as to what can be accomplished, everything else being equal.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why don't you let yourself be amused by them as I with both polls.

The discussion was debated ad infinitum in the thread.

You will not change his view, nor should you argue his opinion ad infinitum neither. As your's, Will is entitled to his, and in my opinion, neither one of you is right or wrong. Just presenting an opinion of a different flavour, that is all, regardless of methods used.

Can you live with that? I can!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, do you honestly believe that your poll had any other intention than to drive people to the desired answer?

Yep.

I am glad you agree and I am glad to see you saying so.

The polls speak volumes....

Will

Last edited:

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yamadori of course.You are all fired...:)

-dorothy aka cascade

Top Bottom