Unconventional tray

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are those who only buy pots that are made by Japanese artists and then there are the handful that go for alternatives. This post is for the handful. What do you guys think of this? Its a lid from a clay pot. I figured it will be a great bonsai not because the breathing hole could serve as drainage. What do you guys think?IMG_20170505_214747.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems it may need a bit of elevation to drain?

The full glazed will keep it wet longer.

Nice.

Sorce

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the handle is at the bottom, which keeps it elevated. i figured it will keep moist longer. i stuck a ficus seedling in there so it looks like a tree on a hill type. now i can either tie smaller seedlings around it to fuse them together for a thicker trunk, or i'll use areal roots later when they grow out, align them with the trunk and guide them to the ground.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
finally, my moss is spreading, small patch on the left is all natural new growth.WeChat Image_20170618110312.jpg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There are those who only buy pots that are made by Japanese artists
There are plenty of alternatives to handmade Japanese bonsai pots without resorting to crockery.
For example, lots of Americans like to buy handmade American bonsai pots - it certainly saves on shipping and customs ;)
Nothing wrong with using that if it drains well and you like it, but with that big mound of soil, the whole thing looks a bit like a flying saucer . . .
Speaking of drainage, if you're counting on that small breathing hole, it isn't at the bottom of the "pot." This means that water will still pool at the very bottom and may cause roots to rot.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did count in the very bottom where water won't be able to drain, that's why my choice of tree is a ficus m. I figured it would be able to handle it. And since the pot broke, i figured the lid could look interesting if i planted a tree in it.

Top Bottom